Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Remember ladies - muscle burns more calories than fat. This is what I'll be working with this month, toning up the muscles I've got.
Actually, fat doesn't burn calories. Maybe that's what you meant... 80% of your calories burned are through metabolism-- the muscles on your body now- rather than exercise. When you tear your muscles down, as through strenuous exercise such as weight lifting, you stimulate the muscle to repair and rebuild-- building new muscle tissue. More muscle = more fat burning. Even while you sleep...

If you can work on getting a more muscled, less fat body, you won't have to worry about putting weight right back on once you go off a 'diet'.

I agree it's all a process of finding what works for YOU, and there are a lot of theories out there. But it's definitely something worth pursuing.

I understand the fear of artificial sweeteners (tho some claim to be made from natural ingred.s) but there is definitely a well known health hazzard to obesity. How sweet do we need our food to be, anyway? And how salty? Moderation is the key. We can get used to these changes in our daily diets.

Congrats on your weight loss Jennifer! Keep up the good work.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Remember ladies - muscle burns more calories than fat. This is what I'll be working with this month, toning up the muscles I've got.
Actually, fat doesn't burn calories. Maybe that's what you meant... 80% of your calories burned are through metabolism-- the muscles on your body now- rather than exercise. When you tear your muscles down, as through strenuous exercise such as weight lifting, you stimulate the muscle to repair and rebuild-- building new muscle tissue. More muscle = more fat burning. Even while you sleep...

Congrats on your weight loss Jennifer! Keep up the good work.

Yep, that was me not thinking and only having one cup of coffee.. still need to wake up!

Thanks - slow and steady!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:20 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by Gwyn
You are right.

I'm down to about 400-500 calories a day (doctor supervised)
Walking in my house about 1 hour a day
And taking a special medication to reduce fluid retention.

I'm not trying to win a prize. I just thought someone out there would be happy that I am finally starting to move down. Guess not.
I am sure if you had mentioned about the fluid issue at first it may have saved some 'upset' people feelings.
I am glad you are getting rid of your excess fluid in some cases its just as dangerous as fat. Keep up your good work.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Jennifer that is awesome!! I agree with the slow and steady weight loss that's what I'm doing.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:24 AM

Since I started on this weight loss thread I have lost a few pounds each month. Yeah for me but this month is really kicking my butt. I wear my pedometer each day and I'm walking more than ever before, but food is always screaming my name and the temptation to eat everything in sight is so much harder to deal with than before. I've only lost 1.5 pounds this month so far. Its really getting frustrating. Just my little rant to myself I guess. I will do better, I will keep trying, I will win this battle this time no matter how long it takes.
Hope everyone is inside warm and dry today. Its really snowing here and more to come.
Lisa
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Carrie - you're doing great too. :)

Lisa - slow and steady. Think of it as 1.5 pounds that are now gone forever. :) And that's a lot of weight!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:34 AM
BMP

Lisa - slow and steady. Think of it as 1.5 pounds that are now gone forever. :) And that's a lot of weight!
1.5 pounds= 6 sticks of butter.... put 6 sticks of butter/margarine on your counter look at , you lost that much FAT !!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by BMP

1.5 pounds= 6 sticks of butter.... put 6 sticks of butter/margarine on your counter look at , you lost that much FAT !!!!
Looking at it that way makes me feel sick to my stomach!! GROSS!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ljs317
I've only lost 1.5 pounds this month so far. Its really getting frustrating. Lisa
Lisa, I know how discouraging it can be to "only" lose a small amt, but look at your total success you have reached. And 1.5 per month for a yr = 18 lbs...... Good luck. Don't lose hope. I know you're just venting and thats what we're here for,but I wanted to encourage you to not beat yourself up. Happy losing. Sandy
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 AM

Hello all, I am just checking in. I just got off of a long strecth of 12 hour night shifts and get to do it again starting friday. As some may know I am a critical care nurse. The last few days I took care of a 485 pound man on life support. My body hurts so bad today from taking care of him. My body is wearing out from my profession as the epidemic of obesity grows. I wish I could find a cure for all of us that suffer from the disease.

I have been very good this month except with a slip up I had when I found a pack of oreos in the cuppord. As I was finishing probably the 15th or 20th cookie at 0200 I asked my self why? Why was I mindlessly and obsessivly eating the cookies when I had had no sugar all month? I truly could not answer the question. That my friends is what I must get to the bottom of.This is why the weight loss surgeries fail. The man I spoke of above ,he had had gastric bypass surgery,I feel so bad for him.

Don't mean to keep rambling just wanted to check in and just throwing some thoughts out there.

Stay strong all,
Rae