Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick!! >

I am just sick!!

I am just sick!!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM

for sure''''''''''''''' :thumbup:
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM

You know what? That has become my signature on all of my quilts. The very first one I made had one piece that was the wrong color and since then every single quilt I have ever made has had one piece either the wrong color or the wrong shape or wrong side out. It's my signature! That's how everyone knows its an authentic Linda R quilt and not some perfect imitation! LOL!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sananddandy
Originally Posted by mimom
can you post a picture so we can see if its all that noticible, which if you didn't notice it when you were putting it together, its likely not that bad
First time trying to post picture. Hope it works.
I guess I just love quilts so much, or else I'm not a good quilt critic..I don't see what you all see.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I know it hurts with all that work.
I had to really study it out to find the mistake.
If you hadn't told ME I really would have not seen it.
I also thought you made it that way.
We won't tell anybody.
You work is beautiful.
It is not an oh no horrible problem. It is still pretty.

My first quilt I had a quilt store person help me with the colors for the class quilt. I am bad with the colors. I hated the colors after the piecing began. I spent $100 on the small project. I have yet to finish it. I know the pain.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I saw the "error" right away and (sorry) burst out laughing. When I read your introductory entry my heart felt like crying for you. Then I saw the picture. I laughed out of pure relief. That isn't an error! It's a quilt made for a very special reason by someone who wanted to make it and signed by those who can't quit, or didn't have the time, or choose you do it, or.....

Your quilt is beautiful! I bet there will be several quilts for similar events (needs) made by quilters in this group, just because you shared yours. I hope they all put some "error" in for several reasons.

1) The emphasis for the receivers, at first at least, will be on the signitures and messages on the quilts, not the "quilt" itself, because that is where the individual expressions of love are. Admiration will come later and it will be a strong "whoose" for the quilter. The "error" either is a double hug/kiss done on purpose just for you, or it is proof a "real" person, not a machine, put their heart and sweat into the quilt. Both are winners.

2) At the Museum of Folk Art in San Francisco, while viewing a quilt show of 4 generations of quilters (Black women of one family) they had a video running. The interviewer asked the grandmother (2nd of the 4) what do you do if you make a mistake... because they hand pieced in on their laps in the "old" days as material became available. The woman threw back her head and gave a wonderful, hearty laugh and said (paraphrasing from memory)

"HONEY, IF YOU QUILTING FOR LOVE YOU CAN'T MAKE A MISTAKE! NOTHING ABOUT LOVE IS CAN BE A MISTAKE!"

3) One year I crossed stitched bookmarks for my 5th grade class, each one based on their name or their favorite sport, pet, etc. When I gave the bookmarks to them I told them each one had a mistake in it somewhere so they would always remember it was hand-made for them. They laughed and teased me, but I was a bit surprised how much affection my remark had generated. Perhaps it was like telling them that as long as they try, the mistakes are OK.

4. I find that things in a quilt that are a little different, whether on purpose or not (and I'll never know) add interest, movement, genuineness (is that a word?). Others in this group expressed this idea also.

Keep on quilting Baby... you got the touch, both in your heart and in yours hands.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10 AM

What a sweet & funny comment Sierra. It made me laugh, thanks.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
Bev

Sometimes what is a glaring error to us, is not noticed at all by the person we made it for. I've had that happen and have wondered what the heck's the matter with their eyes. But we know what to look for and really, no one else (who doesn't quilt) does. Put it out of your sight for a short while, then take it out and toss it on a bed and look at it again. Bet you will have to search to see the mistake even though it's a big one.
I feel for you. Been there, done that. :-(
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 AM

I can surely empathize. I made a Memory Quilt for my mom for Mother's Day and didn't notice I had reversed the position of 2 blocks. And of course they were in the middle! I just let it go. Probably no one will notice but me, I'll see what if she noticed when I talk to her later today!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM

I hadn't seen the picture before I posted. It took me a minute to find the "error" and I was looking for one! It looks good, looks intentional. I like the comment about giving some people 2 hugs and 2 kisses instead of one. I think it looks great.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by AnnT
I hadn't seen the picture before I posted. It took me a minute to find the "error" and I was looking for one! It looks good, looks intentional. I like the comment about giving some people 2 hugs and 2 kisses instead of one. I think it looks great.
Same here! I went back, looked at the picture, AFTER I posted, and had to go over it several times before I realized that the two in a row were mistakes. No big deal!
If you want to mention it at all to the recipient just tell her you wanted to shake it up a bit. As big as it is, still most folks won't notice it at all.

8-)