Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick!! >

I am just sick!!

I am just sick!!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:39 AM

About 2 years ago , I made my son a queen size quilt -with Harley bandanas and bike print fabrics. It took me 2 years to get it done, trying to get it just right. I gave it to him for Christmas and he really liked it. Well I went over to his house yesterday to drop off some stuff; he was at work. The bedroom door was open and I saw the quilt laying on the bed . so I went in to see how it looked on the bed. and my heart just about stopped. I saw a couple of big holes in it. I asked the DIL what happened to the quilt? She said , he locked the dog in the bedroom , one day when they were gone, so she wouldn't get into stuff. And she got mad and chewed up the quilt. There were at least 3 huge holes in it and probably alot of little ones. I was just in shock. All the time thinking I had made him something special . :cry: I don't know if I should try to patch it , so it doesn't fall apart some more? What do you think? I still have some of the fabrics. I hate patching!
That whole family --my son, his wife and 3 kids--they never take care of anything or appreciate anything. But they are always asking for stuff.
Thanks for listening --Elaine
Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

You should go get it and bring it home with you!!!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM

Don't repair it!!!!!!!!!!!! FORGET IT! Just think how you'd feel if you repaired it and same thing happened. Did you get an apology? My ex DIL put one of my quilt in the dog cage with the dog and went to work. It's long before I was making decent quilts but I did put some time into it.

Okay. Do what Loretta says and repair it...............then keep it and put it in your will for your son LOL
Old 07-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ninnie
You should go get it and bring it home with you!!!!!
AND KEEP IT. He does not deserve anything hand made if he is going to treat it like that. You put too much time into this for it to be wrecked!!

A friend of mine once told me she made a quilt for her mother. The mother put the hand made quilt on the bed to protect a store bought comforter from getting dirty by the dog jumping on it. She said she would NEVER AGAIN make anything for her mother.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM

That's heartbreaking. It sounds like it wasn't intentional with the dog, but very frustrating to see what happened to your hard work, which I'm sure you put a lot of thought into as well as time and expense. I'd only offer to repair it if you think they WANT it repaired. Did they show regret/remorse for what happened to they quilt? Are they heartsick? If so, you can be generous and give the quilt more time and energy with repairs. If not, you might want to leave it be and just resolve to not make any more big quilted projects as their gifts...perhaps a small utility lap quilt, a table runner or something that won't take as much effort or be quite so frustrating to witness if they don't take care of it.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:55 AM

She said he was really upset about it. And they no longer have the dog; she was put to sleep in April --old age and health problems.
I have too many quilts that I want to make for fun,--I don't know if I can be happy patching this one? I am always glad when I get one done and it can leave the house; so I can work on another one. I haven't talked to him about it yet.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM

I would just leave it as it is. Your son is old enough now to know how to be responsible and take care of his things.
If your son asks you to patch it up for him, do it on the condition that he doesn't let the dog get to it again because this repair will be the last repair you do on it, and explain the reason above about him being old enough to take care of his things.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:18 AM

I know this isn't the same thing but it puts me in mind of when my daughter was little and made a huge mess in her room. She was too small to clean it but not too small to sit in a chair and watch me clean it for two hours. By the time it was done she knew not to do that again. She did do it again though when she was 12 or so. I cleaned her room for 8 hours that time and when she came home and saw it was all happy until I evicted her from the room. She slept on the couch for a month. She was allowed to point to things she wanted in her room and I went in to get them. When she was allowed back in the room she kept it spotless.

If you want to repair it make him sit and watch what it takes to do. Maybe then he will take care of it.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:22 AM

What a nightmare! I'd be horrified! My heart goes out to you, all that loving hard work. I'm not sure what I'd do, maybe take it back, repair it and wait until the kids are old enough (20s?) to appreciate what grandma did. I'm sorry that happened.

suzi
Old 07-25-2009, 11:27 AM

He is 33 years old. He has seen me work on other quilts . He knows how much I put into them. He doesn't have time to come over and help me with things I need help with. He sure wouldn't sit here for days to watch me fix his quilt and listen to me bitch at him some more , about taking care of his things. I like to quilt alone. I guess I just have to cool off a bit from this one.