$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM

After mine grew back in, I got my first hair cut in decades. Forty dollars! I have had it cut once more since then. I trim my own bangs, as I always did in the past. I am soooo going to let it all grow out long again.

I used to cut dh's hair, until one day I just gave him money and told him GO. I was a beautician for a long time, and hated cutting hair. He now pays $20 every six weeks.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Here in Pocatello, Idaho, it is $12 for a hair cut and some times they advertise specials of $8.95.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM

I go to the school an get it cut . $6.80 but I still only go every 2 months. short hair.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Terryl
As a salon owner I want to put my 2 cents worth in here. I charge $41 for a haircut and blow dry, best price in the neighborhood I'm in. Not only is there rent/mortgage to be paid, but also city/county/stare taxes, insurance, electric, water, supplies, phone, licenses for the salon, licenses for stylists, water/coffee for clients, business cards, magazines, cleaning supplies, the list goes on and on, so I do not think the prices are outrageous, we make less than minimum wage standing on our feet all day, it's very hard work and very few stylists get rich, it's a job you have to love to stick with it.
I understand this and if I could afford, I would gladly pay. But I can't, so I have it find it cheaper. All I need is for someone to cut 2 or 3 inches off(Simple, all one length). I am going to check out the Beauty College and hopefully they can do it cheaper. When I had my hand surgery they washed it and did a French Braid for $6, so I am hopeful.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Terryl
As a salon owner I want to put my 2 cents worth in here. I charge $41 for a haircut and blow dry, best price in the neighborhood I'm in. Not only is there rent/mortgage to be paid, but also city/county/stare taxes, insurance, electric, water, supplies, phone, licenses for the salon, licenses for stylists, water/coffee for clients, business cards, magazines, cleaning supplies, the list goes on and on, so I do not think the prices are outrageous, we make less than minimum wage standing on our feet all day, it's very hard work and very few stylists get rich, it's a job you have to love to stick with it.
Yes, I understand this. I grew up in small business and owned my own for 15 years. I don't know any other way. However, I don't get all the advertisements I see salons doing in the papers, billboards, etc, etc, etc... Why do they have to advertise so heavily, which is VERY expensive, if they have a big client base and do a great job? Doesn't add up to me. Here, it is very trendy and the salons compete heavily. I quit advertising after the first year, except for a small inexpensive yellowpage listing. My advertisement was word of mouth. It kept my prices down. I just think in this economy that things are going to have to change.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Banned

Since I moved to NH I pay my stylist $20 - a real bargain in my mind.
In NYC I was paying $50 and up and that was 15+ years ago.

A friend once asked what I'd never give up unless I was destitute - a decent haircut, home delivery of the NYTimes and a monthly cleaning woman
Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

I am very luckly, a friend has a beauty palor at her house.
She charges 10. for wash, cut and set. 15. color,cut,wash & set. She is a keeper. She or her husband even take a few of the older ladies home.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM

I have been going to a local beauty college almost since it opened. Cuts used to be $7.00 a few yrs ago, but with cost of everything going up now cut and style is 11.00 & tax. Still not bad and the instructors come by and double check the results before you get out of the chair. Might you be able to find one in your area?? Try it --it's worth it.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Yes, it is a lot of money to spend when you have to go often. I have found someone who can cut my hair (curly, wavy) and I am so fussy. anyway after the last hair cut -not that great- I wanted someone to style my hard to do hair also taking my age into consideration . I went to a former sylist ( no more hairdressers)and did love how she cut my hair before (in Ma, so waited until i visited my daugther) wow I did love the cut (now I have a base for my hair cuts in fla, Wallmart). I did get sticker shock, i knew that last time it was up around 40.00 +5 tip but, now it is up to 49.00 +tip. omg i do not think I can afford to go back anytime soon. Will have to wait till my hair gets totally out of shape. Hope the girl in FL can do it nice... p.s. I wash my own hair.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:57 AM

I go to super cuts 13.00 for Seniors. It's been along time since I had a bad cut there.
then they sign my card and I get a free one once in awhile.