Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >
  • I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

• I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Do not feel guilty about selling the quilt you purchased the tickets as a way to help the organisation and you won the quilt I am sure you can use the money perhaps in some of your medical expenses. I always buy seafood raffle tickets and DH is allergic to prawns and other shell fish I know if i ever win the barrow full seafood I will give it away it's a way for me to help the Rotary Club in our area Put the quilt on ebay and start the price at $ 600 and see what happen. Good Luck with your decision.
    Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 AM

Well, if it was me and I were to sell the quilt....in all good conscience I would give the money back to the quild that made it. Personally, I don't care for raffles for just this reason. It is usually something I would have no use for, so instead of buying raffle tickets I just donate that money to the organization. My DGD sells girl scout cookies...I don't eat them, so I give the scout troop money to buy cookies to send to the Army troops.
    I just think it would be rather tacky to profit from something that you won in that way. Just my opinion for whatever its worth.
    Old 01-07-2012, 04:39 AM

If you can't use, you should sell it and then someone else can enjoy it and you will benefit also. When raffle tickets are sold, I don't think there is any expectation on the winner to use it in a certain way. You helped by purchasing the ticket which is what the raffle was for, to raise money. It is yours, and if you need the money, you should sell it and don't fret about it. I agree that it is probably more tasteful to not go around telling about how much money you made.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:28 AM

I can`t see why not....if it was made by someone especially for you then it would be different but since it was a raffle, i can`t see why you wouldn`t do whatever you want with it....you probably will sell it to someone who will enjoy it a lot....that`s my opinion...lol
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:29 AM

why would you give the money back to the guild...it was a raffle...and thy already made their money....
    Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Well, if it was me and I were to sell the quilt....in all good conscience I would give the money back to the quild that made it. Personally, I don't care for raffles for just this reason. It is usually something I would have no use for, so instead of buying raffle tickets I just donate that money to the organization. My DGD sells girl scout cookies...I don't eat them, so I give the scout troop money to buy cookies to send to the Army troops.
    I just think it would be rather tacky to profit from something that you won in that way. Just my opinion for whatever its worth.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:33 AM

I think that you can do with it what you want. If they still have the raffle tickets, they could always draw another name.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:35 AM

I used to WORRY a lot that something I would do might offend others. I think age gives us the freedom and perspective to say that as long as my actions do not HURT another and are legal, then I will do as I please. This does not mean that I will trample over others feelings and that part of the worry has remained. Follow your heart and your conscience, in these days of re-gifting and thrifting, its yours, you won it and the right to dispose of it as you see fit. It doesnt fit, it isn't your colors and you do not have to use it just because you won it. All of this said in my humble opinion.
    Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM

I guess if you won it and now want to sell it that would be disappointing to the quilters, but why donate to a raffle if you don't want the quilt, you could have just given them a donation and no tickets. I think if you sell it you should give the winnings to a charity. Just my opinion. I have won quilts and if I didn't need them I gave them to someone who did.
    Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 AM

It is beautiful. It is also yours to do as you please with it. Your medical problems are reason enough (and you don't need a reason) to sell it or gift it to someone that could use it. I wouldn't broadcast what you intend to do with it. It is not anyone's business. Good luck.
    Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM

I agree with all the others-you won the quilt-not them.