Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:26 PM

You won it; it's yours to do what you wish with it. "Keep your mouth shut" as the director of our world-famous Barter Theatre says if your don't like something, and do what will make you happy. If you wish, show several guild members a pic of the quilt on the bed and then go about your business. "Nuff said."
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM

I agree, you won the quilt it is yours to keep or sell or give away. I just bought tickets for our guild quilt and although I think it is beautiful I have a friend that could really use the quilt.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:14 PM

If you are really concerned about your friend and the guild, go to them and explain your limitations, perhaps they could make another quilt for you that would suit your needs. You could give the quilt back to them and they could re-raffle..If that doesn't soothe their egos then so be it, you tried..I say sell it then...It would be a shame to put such a pretty quilt in a closet and not be used....
Old 01-06-2012, 02:24 PM

I'm assuming here, but if you're posting this question then either you're already feeling guilty about the possibility of selling it or you are worried about what your friend and the guild think about it. I'd say if you can get $600 for the quilt, then donating some of the proceeds back to the guild for them to use to purchase materials to make for their next quilt to raffle would help to smooth the ruffled feathers. While I do agree it's yours to do what you wish, if it was me, I would feel very guilty about making that kind of profit off of something that was for a fundraiser. Around where I live even if you would win a 50-50 raffle at a fundraiser, the winner typically pockets half of their winnings and donates the other half back to the cause. Good luck making your decision.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM

It's yours to do with as you please!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM

It is your quilt. You can do whatever you want with it....and actually it is no one else's business.
When they sold you the ticket I know there were no conditions on it. I wouldn't even bother to
tell anyone else what you did with it...again, it is none of their business. I can understand what you
are saying. I've made so many queen/king quilts...hand quilted, over a period of time. They are
only given to my family. Had 5 children (one now deceased) and I can say that they all probably
have all the quilts they need (and maybe that they want, but they never refuse another one). I
never ask what they do with them. I pretty much know they are still in their home, but it is not
my business any more than how they use or what they do with other things of theirs. Don't let
other people intimidate you. It is obvious, it is not something that you are comfortable with so
put it where every you want.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Don't obsess. I have worked on many raffle quilts over 26 years and I would not have a problem if you won one of the quilts and then sold it. We make the quilt, sell the tickets and then donate the proceeds to a predesignated charity so it's a win win for everyone.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

I do not mean to be rude to anyone,but for the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would suggest that you should give that beautiful quilt away. I know many of us tend to keep ownership of something we have given away, but this quilt was sold to you (even if it was for only a dollar.) That should be the end of their interest, unless, of course, someone in the guild wants to purchase it for your price.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM

It is a lovely quilt, but I'm on the side of those who say -- it's yours, do with it as you wish. Selling it will make another person happy. Guilt should not enter into the decision.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Your being very kind to ask, but it is yours. Sell it without further comment. :-)