Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM

I have worked and designed two quilts for our Guilds raffle. This being said, I wouldn't be upset at all if the one who won it sold it to someone else. If someone is willing to spend $600 for a quilt, the quilt will be loved and appreciated. I always buy raffle tickets on quilts to help out the cause they are being sold for. I don't always want to win the particular quilt be raffled because I don't care for the quilt. If I won one of those, I don't know what I would do with it.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Glad to hear you won a raffle quilt but as a member of a guild who makes a raffle quilt I wonder why you bought a ticket for it if you didn't really want to win it. In selling raffle tickets I have encountered many people who kindly say thanks but I have no need for a quilt. I'd rather hear that than see someone who didn't want the quilt turn their dollar investment into a $600 profit. Give it as a donation to a women's shelter, Ronald McDonald House, anyplace where it will really be appreciated. I lived in an area where quilts were donated to a Hospice Home where these dying patients truly loved having a handmade quilt covering them in their last days. I am not being mean but before you decide think of someone somewhere who would really love your gift.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM

Absolutely do as you wish with the quilt and don't let yourself feel bad about your decision. It's your quilt now and no one has the right to judge your actions.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM

Sell the quilt and donate the money to your guild or the charity of their choice.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Sell it! It is yours and you have already supported the guild by purchasing the raffle ticket.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:59 AM

It's yours to do with as you please. Do you have a favorite charity that might take it as a donation (you could get a write off if you need one) and auction again as a fundraiser? Double bonus.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I agree, its your and do what you want with it. If you can't sell it would you consider donating to a charitable organization who could raffle it off for a fundraiser. Or, you could donate to a domestic violence shelter or women's shelter who could use use to keep the women they shelter warm in the winter. Let us know your decision.
I agree with pinkberrykay 100% and one step further , sell the quilt, donate the money to the quilt guild to further their projects or helping someone who wants to make a quilt and cannot afford to. If it makes you feel guilty, there is something wrong. Edie
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM

If it were a car instead of a quilt and you wanted to sell it, you would. The quilt is yours to do with whatever you will. Get the money and run! froggyintexas
Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Selling won quilt

I am so happy you brought this topic up. I did the same thing. Won a beaut. kingsize quilt with matching pillow cases at the Valentine's Day raffle where everybody scrambled for it. It just doesn't work into my color scheme at all since it's in browns/beiges but I feel reluctant to try to sell it. I'd never sell it around here since I know everybody who worked on it & it would cause a huge stir if they found out I'd sold it. Maybe once a bit of time passes it might be safe though. I ck'd Ebay prices & it should sell for from $800 to $1,000. Don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.
Good luck with selling yours.

Last edited by Pat G; 01-06-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: misplaced sentence
Old 01-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by chefjojo View Post
Glad to hear you won a raffle quilt but as a member of a guild who makes a raffle quilt I wonder why you bought a ticket for it if you didn't really want to win it. In selling raffle tickets I have encountered many people who kindly say thanks but I have no need for a quilt. I'd rather hear that than see someone who didn't want the quilt turn their dollar investment into a $600 profit. Give it as a donation to a women's shelter, Ronald McDonald House, anyplace where it will really be appreciated. I lived in an area where quilts were donated to a Hospice Home where these dying patients truly loved having a handmade quilt covering them in their last days. I am not being mean but before you decide think of someone somewhere who would really love your gift.
I don't see the problem? i have bought raffle tickets simply to help out the cause, not because i really wanted he items. I figure the chances of me actually winning are slim. If, on the off chance i do win i say thanks ,take it home and pass it on to someone who can use it.
I don't see why people feel they have to tell all. It's your quilt, do with it what you want. you owe noone an explanation. And as far as you "friend" saying what she did, thats just a cheap shot in my book