Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
You have the same thing in the car show scene. I have to deal with them on a regular basis since all I do is build and paint high end show cars. Some of them can be very degrading at times but I know how to deal with them in a silent manner.

I was at Street Rod Nationals a couple of years ago and a guy was looking at a car I had painted that was cruising the grounds. He told his buddy that he wanted who ever painted that car to do his, and he didn't care what it cost. A complement for me never the less but a few hours earlier I was trying to get some information about his services and told me that since I didnt have a shop that he would not sell to me because I could not provide him with enough volume to warrant his time.

About a month or so later he called me up and told me who he was and was wondering if I could paint his '34 Plymouth Coupe for him and I told him sure love to.

I doubled the price and he was tickled to have his car painted. To this day I do not think he has ever put 2 and 2 together.......... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy
I used to work at a bridal shop and we did the same thing. When there was a really difficult customer who was hard to please because NOTHING was good enough for their little girl we added a "PIA" charge. PIA stands for Pain IN A@@. It didn't happen often but sometimes, they just deserved it! They never knew the difference but we felt better.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:29 PM

My girl 66 what a beautiful way to put it. I also think you should try finding another guild, through my guild I have met so many people, and two of the ladies have become very good friends. We go on quilting retreats together and have a marvelous time. But my guild is very positive and all-encompassing. Haven't had any bad experiences and I've been a member for 4 years, and I have learned so very much. Hugs Lucinda
Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mtnmama
I have not tried to join a guild but wanted to join an online group (on another site)to make quilts for the military folks coming back wounded. I read a list of do's and don'ts and was really turned off from joining. Some of the items were common sense, use good quality fabric, OK, make the quilts a certain size, OK, don't use juvenile prints, OK, They like red white and blue, OK makes sense. Pertaining to quilting, don't stitch in the ditch, WHAT? How to prepare your quilt for your long arm quilter, WHAT? Only professional long arm quilting is good enough. This is not what quilting is about. A quilt is to provide a "warm and fuzzy" comfort, it does not need to be perfect. :oops: :oops:
It's sad, my next door neighbor just had her grandson return from duty in Iraq. He told her he and the others were THANKFUL for all they got including quilts! They didn't care if the stitching was perfect, the points were perfect, it was something to keep them WARM in the Winter as it is freezing in some areas over there, mainly the mountains.
Those who insist that the quilts must be perfect are fooling themselves and not seeing the whole picture. Just because the quilt is not perfect is not a reflection on them personally. They don't get it.
I think it is a control issue of sorts, one reason I bowed out of the group that the guild that I currently belong to had instead of going on and putting up with the nasty people who said it had to be done a certain way. We are coming up on renewal time and I am not sure if I want to or not yet.
It is a real shame as I do enjoy many of the guild activities.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Marsye, I like your new avatar.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Unfortunately, there's a lot of that behavior going around. Once upon a time, quilting was out of necessity. Now it has made such a "comeback"; and lots of women have appointed themselves "queen". Good thing none of us on this board are like that!! We seem to play together very well!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
It's their loss.
I'm sorry they made you feel unwelcome.
Maybe the group did get too large, as you say.
I know this online group isn't the same as human contact but I've never read anything here that would make anyone feel unwelcome. So stay here with us! :-)
Yes, I have only belonged for a few months and I have never felt anything but welcome.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:31 PM

I went once and never went back - didn't feel welcome. So - consider yourself lucky - now you have even more time for quilting. I'm sorry you felt left out - just sew something - that cheers me up.
Blessings friend,
Scherrie
Old 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
I have heard of this also, so I haven't joined (don't want to be back in high school!?!). There is another one close by that is not suppossed to be like that, but I would rather just be here!
Yeah, me too. Everyone here is so nice. Not at all hoity toity. Sometimes the people in guilds can be a bit stuck up ( as we used to say in High School:) )
Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 PM

We have several quilds in my area with prestigious reputations.

I had a similar problem when I began quilting and taking quilting classes.

Because I am a man, I could never predict the way a class would react when I arrived.

Some groups didn't care if I had horns and a tail, they just wanted to have a fun time sewing.

Some groups stared at their machines or at the teacher, became nervous if my seam ripper got too close to their scissors, and would not indicate I was in the room, breathing.

As my skills grew and I had success at more complicated techniques, the LQS owner eventually began asking me to teach classes. I think this helped more than anything. Can't get your money's worth from a class if you ignore the big white elephant in the front of the room (big hairy man-teacher), can you?

Turns out, most of the rude people were guild leaders. Never have been asked to join a local quild by one of the "Queen bees", only by the nice people who apologize for them.

So, I have never joined a quild. Don't need people sitting in judgment of me, or my quilting.

:-)
Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Hugs, I don't belong to a guild! and honestly don't think I ever will. I do hope to find someone or some that quilt in my area for connecting up at times and learning from them :) course I am willing to help any way I can, being new, I can only help so much. I do enjoy quilting and hope to get better with each project. Belonging to this online group has meant a lot to me, seeing and reading discussions and joining in a few swaps has been great fun. Everyone here is most gracious and willing to help if asked. Thanks everyone :)

Sharon