Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
Would you mind sharing with us some of the online shops that you've found that have great products AND great prices?

Thanks so much,
Not at all.......I use Web Fabrics most of all........she carries only top of the line fabric, and her shipping charges are fair. I have also ordered successfully from Connecting Threads. While their quality is not quite as nice as Web Fabrics, their prices are lower, and the quality is still more than acceptable.
Thanks so much. I'll check them out.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM

The only problem I would think you might encounter is that if you are making baby quilts, you definitely need to wash the fabrics first. All of JoAnn's fabric is imported,and has to be fumigated before enteribg the country. I would be concerned about chemicals left on a baby quilt. Otherwise, I have found that their fabrics are not too bad at all.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:42 AM

Wal- Mart is a store that will get the first run, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Ben Franklin will get the second quality and your LQS will get the highest quality, tightest weave, most accurate print run. If you look at the color dots along the selvage edge you can often see how accuate the print run is: if the color dot totally fills in the circle it should be the best quality, if it is askew it will be of a lower quality. You may find the same print at a Wal-Mart and a LQS but if you feel the softness of the two to compare you will find that the LQS will be smoother and the first run (WM)will be coarser due to the higher thread count in the pricier fabric.
Originally Posted by MzMcKee
This was years ago and I can't say what brand it was, but here is my JoAnn's story. I had purchased fabric from the local QS but ran short. I went to JoAnn's hoping to find something to compliment the fabric and was surprised to find the same print from the QS. I purchased what I needed and went home with it. There is a difference between the QS and the JoAnn's. JoAnn's was a bit thinner in weight and the print was faded not a strong as the QS. I took the fabric back to the store and it was explained to me that in a fabric run there are basically three cuts from a run of a print. The first and last cuts are those cuts that go to your discount stores. They are very thin, the print may be off center, the colors may be out of line and not as crisp. The second and second to the last cut go to your fabric stores. They are stronger then the first cut. The third cut is the best cut. It is the part of the run that goes to your specialty stores. I now use this information to determine the quality of fabric I will use for the project I am working on. And if the project I want to work on should use the best quality and I can’t afford it, I’ll save and wait. Needless to say, right now I have a lot of projects I’m waiting on. It’s all good fabric and I use it all. Just a bit of quilt fabric trivia.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Administrator

i will remind everyone again to please stay on topic. the purpose of this conversation is not to drag out the old debates, generalizations, and rumors. they are not relevant to this topic and are not helpful.

the questions are:
(1) opinions of Keepsake Calicos specifically. so far, those who are not fans of that collection have been very polite and constructive in explaining why. makes me proud. :thumbup:
(2) recommendations of websites through which somebody can purchase fabric and stay within a very tight budget.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 AM

I think it was determined that the Keepsake Calico prints from Joanns are neither good nor bad but a combination of both. The lower priced ones ($2.99-$3.99) aren't usually very good quality, but the higher priced calicos appear to be decent. Most people want to feel the fabric first before buying it, though that is a bit hard to do when shopping online. Hopefully knowing the difference in prices will help when trying to buy decent fabric from Joann's through their online service.

Okay, I'm going to have to go off topic just a bit. Sorry Pat!

June, I did not know that about the selvage. :shock: Yet it makes perfect sense and I'm so glad you shared this. I'm sure going to pay attention to that from now on!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 AM

Unfortunately, while a considerable amount of the world's cotton is grown in the US, nearly all of it is woven into fabric and printed overseas where labor's cheaper. Dan River was the last of the big ones to close up shop, and what's left supplies fabrics to clothing industry/home decor.

While I still shop JoAnn's for notions . . . my LQS is where I turn for fabric. Frankly . . .when JoAnn's stopped being "ClothWorld" and became "everything under the sun, JoAnn's", focus on fabric declined substantially.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and comments. They're are very much appreciated. I've learned a lot from all of you on this subject. I'll be making my online purchases from already trusted sites that I've purchased from before. Now, let's get back to sewing and quilting! :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and comments. They're are very much appreciated. I've learned a lot from all of you on this subject. I'll be making my online purchases from already trusted sites that I've purchased from before. Now, let's get back to sewing and quilting! :thumbup:
I hope you post a picture of the quilt you make from the fabrics you are now going to purchase. :thumbup:
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
I hope you post a picture of the quilt you make from the fabrics you are now going to purchase. :thumbup:
Thanks, but it'll be a while. I have several WIP's at the moment, not the least of which is a wedding quilt for my oldest son and new bride. :D
Old 07-29-2010, 01:52 PM

A moving blanket is one used by companies providing moving services for furniture and household goods to protect your stuff from being scratched or broken during transportation from one place to another. They are usually quite heavy and definitely not the softest material around. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: