Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection >

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

I must admit, that I'm getting frustrated with perfection

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 AM

I quilt for fun and could care less beyond that. As long as I can honestly tell myself I did my best, then I'm fine with it. So what if there is a mistake. Most people won't find them and if they do, I call it my signature :)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:47 AM

I totally agree. Those who think their work is perfect are totally wrong. No one's work is perfect; only God and his work is perfect.
I made a Mariner's Compass in a class a few years ago and really had trouble with the pattern and understanding it. The girl who lead the group and helped the guest speaker had said she would help anyone who didn't get done and wanted help.
So, I went to her house and she helped me. As I left she informed me"I wouldn't have a thing that looks like that in my house." I walked on out.
Mariah.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
i feel the same way. i quilt for fun and i never can get mine to be perfect and i am fine with that!!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jill
I quilt for fun. I gave up perfection years ago. I like my quilts to look nice, and I do rip out my share of seams, but my quilts will never be in a show, will never be in a museum, but they will be in my house and the houses of family and friends, and I will be proud of them when I'm done. I keep telling myself that perfection is impossible so why should I drive myself crazy trying to achieve something I can never do.
Same here
Old 02-03-2011, 07:51 AM

finished is better than perfect so says my dear friend - I try to do things that are fun and not worry about the other stuff.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM

I wanted my quilts to be perfect, and got a bit frustrated myself. That is until the wonderful people of this group, made me realize.
1. Only God is perfect
2. My quilts were being made with love and for family only, not for a museum or a contest of any sort
Old 02-03-2011, 07:57 AM
djw

I agree when you say "nothing and no one is perfect". I do my quilts for family, friends and I do sell them. But, as you can see (or maybe you can't)by my signature photo, my quilts are different to all yours and the beautiful patterns you use. But, if anyone that gets one of mine hunts for imperfections, well, I am sure they will find some. I am not perfect, but I am happy and satisfied with my projects....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by phatquilts2
Thanks for starting this thread. There are many reasons for starting this journey of quilting.

May I venture to state that in our day and age we do not have to quilt out of necessity like the generations before us(at least most of us). Does anyone remember reading "Little House on the Prairie" with the descriptive prose of quilt making? Oh my, just the hardships of that era.

We have the conscious decision to be able to play and enjoy our quilt making. Or we can take the other well traveled road to become the best of the best and win those top prizes at Houston and Paducah and let us not omit the international Shows. That is incredible competition just to make it to that level and have a quilt(s) on display. What an achievement in itself. That may be another goal in your journey to quilting.

Or use your artistic license, enter the realm of the abstract. Some of us enjoy using up scraps; i.e., Bonnie Hunter, making crazy blocks or sending our creations off to charity groups. Do not forget the world of the LAQs and what contributions they make to enhance these creations.

I enjoy reading, daydreaming [call me Ms. Mitty] and collecting the fabrics and gadgets. Also, love Mary Ellen Hopkins' books and her world of the ppm. What is marvelous about quilting is that anyone can find her/his niche.

Last but not least, it is my therapy! Quilting makes me feel alive, thriving and challenged. Naturally, my family knows that I have lost it completely and indeed I live out there in some quilting galaxy, far far away.

Yes, I have my own "padded cell" to prove it. You have your own, right? Time to get off the soap box now and yes, I am phatquilts2 and I am a quiltaholic. :thumbup: :D
Welcome, phatquilts2. We are all enablers here. You have a lovely philosophy. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:00 AM

When I am teaching a class I tend to teach the best way that works for me. But I always emphasize that "my" way does not work for everyone and if you find a different technique or tool that works better for you, then go for it. I also let my student decide if they want to rip out or not. I might say, "I would rip that one and do it again, but if you are happy with it then it is OK." If everything has to be absolutely perfect, I agree, sometimes it takes the fun out of it. Let's strive for stress-free and fun quilting!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mariah
I totally agree. Those who think their work is perfect are totally wrong. No one's work is perfect; only God and his work is perfect.
I made a Mariner's Compass in a class a few years ago and really had trouble with the pattern and understanding it. The girl who lead the group and helped the guest speaker had said she would help anyone who didn't get done and wanted help.
So, I went to her house and she helped me. As I left she informed me"I wouldn't have a thing that looks like that in my house." I walked on out.
Mariah.
Surely, she was joking? How could she offer to help, and then send you on your way with a comment like that and be serious? Some people have such a dry sense of humor, it's hard to tell when they are joking.