Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What!  No Stash? >

What! No Stash?

What! No Stash?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM

I don't have a stash, don't want a stash - scraps get trashed.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:56 PM

My stash:
These are unfinished cupbaords, about 7 1/2 ft high (that's why one is white, they will all be that way eventurally) that hold, um, maybe a third of my stash.
Now I feel better, doing my part for those who don't have stashes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-203894.jpe  
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl
I don't have a large "stash". There's always beautful fabrics in the stores and I don't see a need to collect fabric UNLESS I really love it. I do love novelties but I limit my purchases to Route 66, Hot Air Balloons and dog themes. Even so, my stash is small...I don't do scrappy quilts tho I have plent of "scraps". I give them away once I fill a bag.
sandy
Hugggggggs Sandy, can I be your friend and on your give away list? Smilessssssssssssssss:D:D
Old 05-29-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I sew/quilt almost every day and do not have a stash. To me, it's saving trash. I don't like to use the same fabric more than once, I don't like scrappy quilts, I NEVER buy fabric just for the sake of buying fabric. For one thing, I can't afford it. I am no good at combining colors and patterns and I absolutely hate combining different prints. When I make a quilt, I go by a picture I've seen or the picture on the pattern and I only choose those whose color combinations appeal to me because I know I am unable to successfully combine fabrics on my own. I can't imagine what I would ever do with loads of different colored, patterned fabrics for which I didn't have a purpose. I buy only what I need for a specific project and throw the scraps away. I have 3 dresser drawers filled with leftover poly/cottons and fleeces that I used when I made doll clothes years ago. These leftovers are in pieces big enough to make an article of doll clothing, but I know I'm never going to use them again. One of these days I'm going to just throw them all away and use the space to store batting or something. No one I know sews, so there they sit - such a waste. And I should add to it? I don't think so.
OMG Carol can I be your friend too, and you can throw your leftover scraps from your projects right over here to me and I promise to put them to good use. Hugssssssss and smilessss, :D:D
Old 05-29-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by trrmite
When does one consider the material on hand a "stash"?
IMMEDIATELY!!!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 PM

I'm with you, pjemark, no stash for me. I am to old to be worring about tomorrow. Besides it is a waste of money. I like to buy when I decide to make something. I found when I had fabric stacked up, I didn't like it after awhile. Too much new and prettier fabrics out there. I save scrapes for a while, make a scrap quilt or two and the pile NEVER goes down. There hatch over night. So after a scrap quilt or two, I sort and anything smaller then 3' goes to the closest quilter to me at the moment or in the garbage. I don't think twice about it once it is gone. I like to applique, so I do use some of the larger scraps at times.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Here at the Quilting Psychology Institute, we would diagnose her as "stash-impaired". There is therapy for that condition.
roflmao
i'm sure several of the members of this board would qualify as counselors for the Institute.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM

This totally amazes me - you can not create without clutter. My Mother's sign said "Dull women have immaculate homes!!!" I am not dull, neither am I a mess!!! Those of you who give away your scraps, I would love to help you!!! I live in Anchorage, Ak., I am on disability, in charge of "giving" programs at my church, and we are already paying between $10.00 and 13.50 a yard for regular quilt shop-quality fabric!!! and that is before the coming 30% increase that our shops have been told will be on the next order. We would gladly pay flat rate box shipping and your "scraps" would be put to good use.

the Frozen Quilter
Old 05-29-2011, 02:50 PM

This totally amazes me - you can not create without clutter. My Mother's sign said "Dull women have immaculate homes!!!" I am not dull, neither am I a mess!!! Those of you who give away your scraps, I would love to help you!!! I live in Anchorage, Ak., I am on disability, in charge of "giving" programs at my church, and we are already paying between $10.00 and 13.50 a yard for regular quilt shop-quality fabric!!! and that is before the coming 30% increase that our shops have been told will be on the next order. We would gladly pay flat rate box shipping and your "scraps" would be put to good use.

the Frozen Quilter
Old 05-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Every time I read about perfectly good fabric going into the garbage/trash, I find myself starting to twitch and shudder.
I just can hardly bear the thought, when so many of us could use that fabric to create quilts for charity. Especially now with the weather causing so much loss and destruction of homes and possessions. And there are as always, the ill and wounded who benefit from our efforts.
So many of us struggle to obtain the fabrics we use for these good causes, I just cannot understand why anyone would prefer to toss fabric into a landfill rather than pass it on to be used. There are many ways to pass on this fabric, some much less bother than others. But all so much better than throwing it out.
My heart aches to think of such waste. Am I the only one who feels this way?