Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning...don't organize your stash! >

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Warning...don't organize your stash!

Old 06-11-2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4
I give you this warning as a friend...Don't Organize your Stash! It might make you feel guilty. I decided yesterday to organize my stash. I wanted to put all of the batiks together, the cottons together and fabric for sewing clothes together. Well, while in the process of sorting...I kept coming across bags that held complete quilt kits or fabric for quilts with the pattern that I had picked out. I found 16 different quilt kits plus two quilt tops! (I'm going to take a wild guess that I MUST enjoy the planning process more than the actual sewing process...or at least this is what the evidence is pointing to...but I LOVE the sewing process...could it be that I just LOVE it all a little too much?) These are complete, ready to make with the patterns and most of them even had the quilt backing with them! Four were cut out and three were partially sewn! I also found the pattern and fabric for a new apron, the pattern and fabric for a bow-tuck purse, and the fabric for three different table toppers! So....I am banning myself from the fabric/quilt shops until I have completed at least half of these items!

I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric, I will not buy fabric!

I am not a fabriholic...I can quit anytime....I will not buy fabric!

Vanessa in Oklahoma
I consider myself an ADD crafter....

I love the planning and research part of the project. I have collected many a pattern and tutorial for future use. Right now I'm cutting kits up into their components for future sewing....

Oh look....:shock: there's a chicken..... :shock:
Old 06-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Yeah right! I'm in the same boat as you and we're both sinking.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 AM

I knew there had to be a reason my stash is so disorganized!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:04 AM

.....and how's that working for you? ;-)
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 AM

That's why I said that I could sew for a year and not have to buy. I love your problem.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:16 AM

My youngest son bet me at New Years that I couldn't go to June 6th (which is my birthday) without buying fabric. On monday he had to pay up the $100.00. I went to three quilt shops on Wednesday and I only bought 3 fqs. I have found that I have so much fabric that I can likely go alot longer without buying fabric. The o nly thing I am short of is background fabrics. I received over 20 fqs for my birthday so I am ok for that for a bit. Right now I am into makeing scrap quilts. My aim now is to get all my fabric into my cupboards and not in bins. Plus I have plenty of ufos to work on. So I am going to try and see if I can go alot longer without buying fabric, with h opes of clearing out some of what I have.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 AM

It's a relief to hear that others have the same "problem". I love fabric, the way it feels and when I complete something the satisfaction of seeing a "work of art".
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Part of my rehabilitation was to go through my stash and organize. I found enough fabric to get rid of in 4 doggie pillows that I gave to the SPCA. I found a practice piece of machine quilting that I bound and gave to them. They loved it. Vanessa, I have decided I have been feeling guilty long enough. I am using up my stash. I have bought some fabric this year, but definately not enough to help the economy, or pay someone's salary at the local quilting store. I look upon those kits that I put away a long time ago as presents to myself. And by golly, I am going to enjoy sewing on my presents! Have a great day and go sew something you like.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mackandblues
I'm moving so I've been packing and trying to keep everything together. I must have at least 3 boxes of just fabric so far. And I maybe half way through packing it.... I am not addicted to fabric. I can quit buying fabric at anytime I want....
ONLY 3 boxes and ONLY 3 to go. You need to do some shopping girl!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 AM

DO NOT QUIT BUYING FABRIC!!!! I told my daughter once that I was going to quit buying fabric. She begged me not to. She said that whatever I don't use will be her inheritance, and she doesn't want me to stop. I have been following her advice ever since, and love doing it.