Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler? >

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Anyone have an add a 1/4 inch ruler?

Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM

These rulers are wonderful for paper piecing. I took a Carol Doak class a few years ago and learned the technique there - it is pretty simple and makes a world of difference. Have fun at your class!
Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM

I have several: small medium and way big. Couldn't live without them. Makes paper piecing so much easier.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:06 PM

I have one and use it frequently. I've had it so long I know I didn't pay $13 for it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Wow Julielg, who would have thought this would be such a hot topic.
First an Add- A- Quarter ruler is NOT the same as a quarter inch ruler that Fons and Porter offer. The difference has already been explained here. The little add a disc quarter washer with a hole in the middle must have a hard edge to roll against to work. It often jumps up over or under the edge and causes a messy result. I have all the rulers mentioned and love the add a quarters. I did not know they brought them out in 18" .
Here is what you need to ask yourself, I paid X amount of dollars for the class do I want to spend extra class time getting a good quarter inch with a regular ruler? The Add A Quarter is a speedy way of trimming off excessive fabric. It is a no brainier, you just move the lip against the pp . You don't spend time lining things up. As DH says RIGHT TOOL FOR THE RIGHT JOB. Have no strings with the makers. Don't know any suppliers. My opinion only. :) :thumbup:
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
It's for a paper piecing class, right?

Here's a picture:
http://www.buy.com/prod/add-a-quarte...217369647.html

It also comes in a 6 inch length, which might be easier to deal with depending on the blocks you're making.

It's a fabulous little notion to have, and I use it ALL the time when I'm paper piecing.
You can pp without it, but if your teacher is going to be using it in class for a new technique (to you), you're probably better off having it. I'm sure the shop sells it.
I have this ruler and just used it to make a paper pieced cala-lily. It has a 1/4 lip on it so when you trim your fabric you can butt it up against the folded paper and trim your quarter inch. I think it's definitely worth the money if you do a lot of paper piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM

I had to get one cuz it was on the supply list for a paper piecing class that I took a number of years ago.

don't need it. It's kinda handy, cute, but I'm too frugal and wouldn't buy one now. I NEVER use it anymore, even when paper piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM

I have the 1/4" AND the 1/8" and I would be lost without them when paperpiecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by judylg
I have a class I am taking this week, the add a 1/4 inch ruler is listed on the supply list (if you have one), which I do not. I have a 12 inch ruler with an added 1/4 inch on it, but am thinking this is not the right one. I just wonder if anyone has one and how you use it? Thanks.
Yes, I have one and I like it a lot when I am paper piecing. It is a 12 inch ruler with a 1/4 inch lip on it. It is real easy to use and very precise for the 1/4 inch seam.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:22 PM

I have a add a 1/4 inch ruler that I use mostly for paper piecing.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 PM

I have both the add a 1/4 and add 1/8, the 1/4 I have in both 6" and 12" and use all of them. Wouldn't be without them.