Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let's Play A Little Game Of "Can You Spot The Defect"? >

Let's Play A Little Game Of "Can You Spot The Defect"?

Let's Play A Little Game Of "Can You Spot The Defect"?

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM

I didn't notice until you pointed it out. Leave it be, every quilt has a story and this is this quilt's story.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM

I too am a perfectionist..... made a jacob's Ladder quilt and as I was putting in my last bit of quilting, I noticed I had reversed a block...too late to switch it
Right now, I'm working on a Christmas Wall Hanging.I got the centre quilted and marked the first inside border and noticed I put all my corner pieces in wrong..so ripped it out...then marked it again and just as I started to quilt again...noticed that all my holly leaves were reversed!..ripped out again and re-marked....hope I haven't missed anything else...grrrrr
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219002.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by C Maureen
I too am a perfectionist..... made a jacob's Ladder quilt and as I was putting in my last bit of quilting, I noticed I had reversed a block...too late to switch it
Right now, I'm working on a Christmas Wall Hanging.I got the centre quilted and marked the first inside border and noticed I put all my corner pieces in wrong..so ripped it out...then marked it again and just as I started to quilt again...noticed that all my holly leaves were reversed!..ripped out again and re-marked....hope I haven't missed anything else...grrrrr
Looks good to me!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Unless you specifically say something, I'm willing to bet my retirement fund that the recipient will never notice that there is anything wrong with the quilt.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Power Poster

My goodness girl, you should be shot for the "defect", the one that I didn't notice until you so eloquently pointed out. I know,I know, I feel your pain, I'm perfectionist too and it can be frustrating at times. No one will notice unless you point it out, so don't point it out. I believe it was a quilt made to be loved, so let it be loved and quit beating yourself up. When my daughter was 17 she was home sick with chicken pox, of all things, so she was getting bored. She told me she wanted to make a quilt, but not like the quilts I made, she wanted one with just squares of fabric with no two fabrics the same. So, I pointed her to my stash and said "have at it". She tried sewing it together, but when I came home after errands one day, she had a huge hole in the middle of the quilt with missing squares. Apparently I hadn't explained how to sew the rows together, even with a design wall, but she got frustrated and told me to finish it. I think I finished machine quilting it about two weeks after she started college. I NEVER TOLD HER, but she had two squares out of the same fabric and to this day she has never discovered it. So, don't worry, no one will know, and if they do, tell them the "Quilt Police" were on vacation that day. Good luck, and I like the quilt, very nice.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 PM

The kid won't see it! I didn't see it until you pointed it out.
Very cute quilt!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:36 PM

I have another funnys tory of a mistake I made in quilting. This makes me laugh as I have got so used to seeing it I don't worry about it anymore. You must note that I am also a perfectionist and almost didn't start quilting because of it but it really has helped me tame the beast and be blessed with the expression that quilting provides. My story is I made a quilt for our bed and it is basically yellow ohio stars with half a surrounding side light and half dark and a light 9 patch and a dark 9 nine patch. It is a quilt from 40 Fabulous Quilts I think it is called by Evelyn Sloppy. When I put it all together on the floor to look at the first time I wasn't as sure I liked the very light strip or not but when I sewed it together I did a very dyslexic thing which annoyed me for ages. I had flipped the stars around so the light and dark bits were in the wrong bits. I didn't notice until I was 3/4 done but was too scared to mess up all those bias edges to unpick it. My only saving grace was I made the mistake on the entire quilt so it looks relatively normal. Dyslexia and quilting don't go well together but hey, there are worse problems to worry about. Don't beat yourself up. I learn from every quilt I make. Just put it in the learning box.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219059.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:24 PM

Looks to me like those were the funny monkeys. You know the ones that were jumpin on the bed, and one fell down and cracked his head. So their feet had to be sewn into the binding because they kept trying to jump off the quilt. :)
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM

I like it. And I still don't see it. Leave it - it'll be fine!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Give the adorable quilt away. You'll never see it again. As a born New Yorker,I say Foggeddaboudit.