Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My experience with Glue Basting. >
  • My experience with Glue Basting.

• My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:40 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by carol45
    I keep a pin stuck in the narrow metal glue tip and it keeps it from clogging.
    Also, I saw on this board that someone is diluting the Elmer's glue and putting it in a spray bottle and basting their quilts with that instead of basting spray. I intend to try that sometime soon.
    Oh, another fantastic tip! This board is so awesome. And I love my new color lol
    Old 07-24-2012, 04:05 AM

Chicca your quilt top is absolutely beautiful! I have almost finished half of my log cabins and am very pleased with the results. It took me a little longer than it would have but this helped all the ends match up perfectly without me stretching out the fabrics. I will post a picture of the later today after I go get some groceries for the kiddos.

Does anyone have any pictures on here about how thy glue baste their quilts with Elmer's glue? I have a few quilt tops that need to be quilted and would love all the help I could get. Thanks again for bringing up this thread. It has been very educational.
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM

I've never tried this before, and have been disappointed with my results, even with pinning. Will definitely try this! Thanks sew much for sharing!
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 AM

I've used Roxanne's glue baste it.. and it is a fantastic product.. I have not tried Elmers but will now.. I have a ton of that stuff.. Thanks for yet another great idea, pre-tested for all the rest of us!
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 AM

After reading this thread yesterday, I tried gluing the seams on a tiny Dear Jane block last night and it worked like a charm! Thank you so much! I've been using a glue stick to stick down the first piece when paperpiecing a long time, especially on some of the Dear Jane blocks that have very tiny pieces.
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Thank you for your post. Even if it, ever, was talked about before, I missed it. So am thankful for the information, sounds like something this "new" quilter needs.
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    Just bought a bottle of Elmer's school glue, but haven't had a chance to try it. I've been trying the little red Clover clips that I ordered and came in the mail on Saturday. The also hold the fabric together when piecing. I've been working on a "Labyrinth" quilt with lots of HST's, squares and rectangles. The red clips are so much easier to use than pins and don't distort the fabric. However, I may try the glue and compare the ease of use. I've already bought the clips, but the glue was certainly cheaper! Thanks for the tip! I was going to use the glue on the binding, but now I can see any number of uses! Great thread!
    I have read about the clips, but have never tried them. Being on an incredible tight budget, I am thrilled that I tried the glue and am amazed at what all it helps with and the number of quilters who use it .
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 AM

Forgot to say Good Morning to everyone (how rude of me). I just went right away to reading and posting. Looking forward to reading everyones posts today and seeing if my friend likes her quilt as is or would like applique, but that will be later in the day.
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
    I often wondered myself if this would work. Thanks. Another tip for the thin or light weight fabric, if you put fusible liight inter facing on the fabric it will help it hold it's shape. I am not speaking of the heavier interfacing only the very light.
    I actually had considered using some of the fusible interfacing; but then saw the glue. Fusible interfacing does have a lot of its own magical uses.
    Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
    That's a fantastic tip, and I'm buying a bottle ASAP! Thanks so much for sharing. And your block is absolutely perfect.
    I am thrilled that I did share but even more thrilled at what everyone else has shared. Thanks for the comment on the block; in my eyes I think it has to be one of the closest things to perfect that I have created. LOL. Yet, each and every block that I made for this, using the glue on each one, came out so fabulously; I am still in awe. Have a great experience with your glue bottle!