Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If I remember correctly (don't bet on it!), I read that Sharon Schamber glues all her seams before sewing. Probably why all her quilts are so fabulous!
That may easily have been where I got the idea to do this; but I am not positive. Yet, after my experience and results with these blocks, I know I will be doing it any time I deal with difficult fabrics/seams. Plus, I may begin doing it for all seams. It is simple and quick.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 AM

OK.......question here.....does the glue transfer to the needle ???
How soon after glueing do you sew ??????
does the glue make the fabric stiff, and thus do you HAVE TO wash....
does all the glue wash out with no staining ???????????????????
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

I have just basted a lap size quilt with Elmers School Glue. I didn't use the iron. I squeezed out a thin squiggly line on sections and laid the batting on it. Then when it dried, flipped it over and did the top by squeezing the glue onto the batting. I am very pleased with this method. The top especially is very smooth. I'm not sure about the backing but that would be blamed on my technique. So far I am quilting through the glue with no issues.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
If I remember correctly (don't bet on it!), I read that Sharon Schamber glues all her seams before sewing. Probably why all her quilts are so fabulous!
ok......................ok silly question here, how do you change your font size and color.....
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Quiet a few big award winning quilters glue the quilt top together before sewing. It's easy to make adjustments and get every piece perfect before sewing. I consider glue basting a basic step in quilt making. (Elmer's school glue is not a glue, it's a heavy starch so it is very safe for fabric and washes out completely)
Old 07-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I just discovered using the spray basting stuff, and it seems to be working well.. I was wondering how to use the glue on quilts.. Are you using Elmers glue, or generic? Are you using it for basting for FMQ, too? Whoa.. All the school supplies are on sale.. Someone mentioned glue sticks.. What do you use them for?
Thanks in advance for the info..
I like to hand applique as well as quilt and I love the glue sticks. I use them to temp hold the design or I stick my needle or toothpick (which ever I'm using) in it a few times and it really helps turn those seams under especially when they fray; it keeps those threads under control. I buy what ever brand is on sale, I've had no problems with any but always keep at least one in my applique kit.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:11 AM

Wow! I use a lot of glue stick but have never used the liquid--great idea! I really don't like spray basting because no matter how careful I am I always end up with over spray, But I have only used it when piecing, not putting the layers together after finishing the top. I use glue stick on my rag quilts when putting layers together--I just mark a small X on each piece. The glue is used up fairly fast so I keep quite a few on hand and have used crayola, elmers and "something" art--can't remember the first part of the name. Glue sticks are on sale right now for 10 cents ea. at Walmart--didn't check the pruice of the liquid glue but bet you I will now! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
OK.......question here.....does the glue transfer to the needle ???
How soon after glueing do you sew ??????
does the glue make the fabric stiff, and thus do you HAVE TO wash....
does all the glue wash out with no staining ???????????????????
No the glue did not transfer to my needle. When I pressed it with the iron, it dries the glue within a few seconds. Of course, with this project I only used just a tiny drop of glue at each seam....laid the next row on top, taking time to match seams and pressing as I went along. I would say that each row took about a half minute to a minute to prepare, iron and then instantly took to machine and sewed the seam. With Elmers Washable School Glue, I have not had any problems with it washing out and never had a discoloration on any fabric. I wait until the whole project is completed and then wash. I have never in other projects seen any evidence, or even felt stiff....so assume it washes out fabulously. Hopefully, I have answered all of your questions. If not, post again and ask away; I will do my best to answer your questions with what I have experienced and hopefully others will respond as well.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I have just basted a lap size quilt with Elmers School Glue. I didn't use the iron. I squeezed out a thin squiggly line on sections and laid the batting on it. Then when it dried, flipped it over and did the top by squeezing the glue onto the batting. I am very pleased with this method. The top especially is very smooth. I'm not sure about the backing but that would be blamed on my technique. So far I am quilting through the glue with no issues.
The few times I glue basted the quilt top/batting/back together....it never occured to me to just let it dry naturally. I think it would make that process go smoother. I will have to try it. With these seams, I did use the iron because I did not want to wait around for it to dry. But, I think it would work fabulous to sit in front of the tv and glue baste your seams to prepare for the following day.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
ok......................ok silly question here, how do you change your font size and color.....
I was wondering the same thing myself!