Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My experience with Glue Basting. >

My experience with Glue Basting.

My experience with Glue Basting.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM

Thank you so much for the great tip and pictures to boot. I am currently working on a mystery quilt that has a lot of points this will help me match my seams and achieve a perfect point.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I just discovered using the spray basting stuff, and it seems to be working well.. I was wondering how to use the glue on quilts.. Are you using Elmers glue, or generic? Are you using it for basting for FMQ, too? Whoa.. All the school supplies are on sale.. Someone mentioned glue sticks.. What do you use them for?
Thanks in advance for the info..
Yes, I am using Elmers washable school glue. Awhile back, I had tried a generic brand and it was a disaster, discolored the fabric and did not wash out well. Elmers is a must for me from now on. Just do a search on glue basting and you will find loads of links with tutorials and various other ways of using it (binding, applique, basting an entire quilt ). I have tried glue sticks, but was not as happy. Yet others swear by them. I think that trying various methods is fun and informative and helps keep me from getting stuck in a rut. Hope that you give it a try.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
Thank you so much for the great tip and pictures to boot. I am currently working on a mystery quilt that has a lot of points this will help me match my seams and achieve a perfect point.
Had not thought of the matching points...definetely think that glue would help. Will have to remember and try it. It has been awhile since I have done a mystery. Just might have to check out some links and have another adventure. First, I had best finish this quilt. LOL.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM

I had used this method in the past but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Your block looks great with perfectly match seams.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:27 AM

Thanks. I use it for my binding but this looks like a great way to use it for matching up seams too.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I had used this method in the past but kind of forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder. Your block looks great with perfectly match seams.
It is easy to forget about the ease of the glue. LOL. If it would not have been sitting there in front of my face, I do not think I would of thought of trying it.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Linda View Post
Thanks. I use it for my binding but this looks like a great way to use it for matching up seams too.
I know that I will use it again for matching seams; it is easy and uncomplicated. I love techniques that work with my brain. LOL.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks for sharing this tip! I usually "precision pin" my seams but some always slip a bit, as the pin is removed. Your idea sounds like the perfect solution!

I love this board and the people on it!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 AM

If I remember correctly (don't bet on it!), I read that Sharon Schamber glues all her seams before sewing. Probably why all her quilts are so fabulous!
Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Thanks for sharing this tip! I usually "precision pin" my seams but some always slip a bit, as the pin is removed. Your idea sounds like the perfect solution!

I love this board and the people on it!
I know exactly what you are describing. With this material the pins just were not working. The glue worked fantastically.