Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Dear Jane Fabric Collection >

My Dear Jane Fabric Collection

My Dear Jane Fabric Collection

Old 08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
Hello fellow Dear Jane fan club members!
The Dear Jane Software came today from JoAnnes (thank you for the tip Klue). I haven't opened it yet. I want to be refreshed when I open it.
Klue was right, the book is useless for putting your quilt together, although I'm so into doing this quilt it was nice having it to read.
I have decided to also do a red, white and blue "American Jane". I am running out of wall space and this is not a quilt I would hang, so I decided red, white and blue for a table cover as we have a big bash on the 4th of July. I'm doing the red and blue in batiks. I've started with 5 yards of a couple different blues and five yards of two different red batiks. That should hold me for a while.
What fun it is picking out fabric. I love it!!!!!!!

thats so wonderful!!!

are you going to do the same red/white/blue lay out as i am?

i really like how the stripe effect with color gives the quilt movement.

i would love to see other people do the same layout it would be so interesting to see the same design but in different fabrics - like batik vs. calico.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:14 PM

Hi Klue!
Your layout looks somewhat complicated, but we will be following your lead so I think it would be possible to do your layout.
I just looked up your fabrics (they are beautiful) and am wondering now if doing the blues and reds in tone on tone batiks along with white is going to be boring?
What do you think?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Banned

i don't think it will be boring at all.

i've started to make some of the Jane blocks for the christmas swap and i've come to learn that tiny prints are the way to go if you're going to use prints.

the pieces are just so tiny that a print design gets lost.

i think you could make an entire jane out of solid fabrics and it would look over the top stunning - it would be like american jane done amish style.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

if you want to do my layout when we start the "sew along" i'll give you my list of which blocks are done in which colors.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM

You're the Best! Sounds like a plan!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sheree from Chicago
Hello fellow Dear Jane fan club members!
The Dear Jane Software came today from JoAnnes (thank you for the tip Klue). I haven't opened it yet. I want to be refreshed when I open it.
Klue was right, the book is useless for putting your quilt together, although I'm so into doing this quilt it was nice having it to read.
I have decided to also do a red, white and blue "American Jane". I am running out of wall space and this is not a quilt I would hang, so I decided red, white and blue for a table cover as we have a big bash on the 4th of July. I'm doing the red and blue in batiks. I've started with 5 yards of a couple different blues and five yards of two different red batiks. That should hold me for a while.
What fun it is picking out fabric. I love it!!!!!!!
Whatever you do - do not serve red wine, coffee, strawberries or any other intense stain producing foods!! I'd hate to see that beauty get spotted on. You are planning to use this for July 2011, right?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 AM

Hi Esqmommy!
Yes, you better believe it will be protected. I think Vogue Fabrics here in Evanston sells heavy crystal clear plastic/vinyl specifically to protect tablecoverings-
I am so excited about doing this project with a group of friends I have not yet met! I have been off work for a year due to a failed third back surgery, so I appreciate all of you!
Between now and starting our project, I'm going to have to learn how to download pictures on the computer. I don't know what to do first, read the book for the camera/photoshop or open my Dear Jane software. I don't know why, but I'm feeling somewhat intimidated by the software thing as I have not used my computer for quilting. But then we have each other.........
Have a good day, Sheree
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Oh my I read this post since I would like to do the quilt with everyone, and while reading Klue you finally said we need a TON OF FABRIC. WOW it's like 30 yards. I did know that background was alot but I didn't realize the blocks would have around 10 yards for that also. Well, I better get cracking and place my Christmas order for the software. Then decide on the color scheme. Oh my so much to think about.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 AM

30 yards seems like a lot. I thought it was more like 12-15, plus backing, but I could be off. You need the biggest quantity for the background, but because the pieces are so tiny, you could make do with smaller amounts of fabric. I think if the paper piecing goes as KLue plans, that will help significantly with using less fabric.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
30 yards seems like a lot. I thought it was more like 12-15, plus backing, but I could be off. You need the biggest quantity for the background, but because the pieces are so tiny, you could make do with smaller amounts of fabric. I think if the paper piecing goes as KLue plans, that will help significantly with using less fabric.
Oh I hope so because I would love to play and I want 1 color for the background, and I'm afraid if I don't buy enough I won't be able to get more.