Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt tops do you have? >

How many quilt tops do you have?

How many quilt tops do you have?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Lets just say I have enough to do an hours lecture/trunk show that is titled. "So its a Top, Want to make something out of it?" I would estimate I use around 65-70 tops for this lecture. But I must explain a bit. When I do a class, I usually make one sample that is completely finished, then will work up several other tops, using different types of fabrics, so the students can be inspired to use their own sense of color to make the quilt. Example: plaids, plains, Aunt Grace, batiks, etc. Tops are much lighter to carry than completed quilts.
I do the same trunk show with Antique tops that I have collected over the years
Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Now that I have decided to hand quilt my wall hanging, I can see why so many people make quilt top after quilt top yet don't actually turn their quilt tops into finished quilts. Quilting is tedious and hurts my fingers. lol I WILL continue and I won't give up but I'm itching to start another quilt top. How many quilt tops do you have that are waitin for the day you find enough energy to make them into actual quilts? :-D
I have one quilt top to finish...I just hate to "sandwich" and finish the quilts. Lots of quilters feel the same way. There 's nothing fun or creative to finishing the quilt...that's my justification for having that beautiful Log Cabin quilt top neatly folded and on a hanger in the closet!!! It's supposed to be a large wall hanging and my husband is wondering when he's going to get the request to put up the hardware!!!! I haven't tied any of my quilts. The ones I finished I hand quilted (baby size) without a hoop, but pinned it like crazy. The other quilt I stitched in the ditch...not as easy as I thought it would be.
Just don't feel guilty about not getting around to making the tops into actual quilts...seems to be a very common trend.
Angela
Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM

I have only one. It was pounded into me by my parents when I was young that I must finish what I start and that I cannot start something new until I am finished with the previous task or project. I couldn't wait to move out and I did 2 days after HS graduation. Not that I didn't have a loving home and great childhood, but I was itching to do things my way. So I worked that summer before starting college and tried things my way. I guess my parents training stuck because I didn't like seeing unfinished projects or work. So I work on one project at a time but it doesn't stop me from dreaming and planning ahead so I now have about 8 quilts planned with all or most of the fabric purchased and in a separate bag for each. Having many quilt tops completed but not quilted sounds scary to me and maybe my way sounds boring or stifling to you but we each must do what makes us happy. And quilting is fun and satisying no matter what your habits are or how you quilt!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:26 PM

I call myself a TOPPER..... I love making the tops but don't like the sandwiching part... I do enjoy the binding part though... but... like I said... I AM A TOPPER... :)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:34 PM

I made an Orphan block quilt with left over blocks, most have a meaning to me of one or another. Used one color sashing to pull it all together. Wish I had made it larger.

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor
What a loaded question!!! Let's see :roll: At least 4 tops ready to go to next step, and then maybe 100 blocks finished but not together with their fellow blocks. Then there are the single blocks that were experiments that are too nice to do nothing with but I don't want to make another like :lol:
Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Presently I only have two waiting to be quilted and one more that I am working on. Really I am waiting on my loving hubby to look at the sewing machine that I want to do my quilting on. Long story short my brother xl3500 died. It did it all so now I am using one older machine (a gift from a friend) that will not use the feet I already have from the brother. The Sewmor that hubby needs to look at does use the feet. So patience is my friend. At least I can sew tops and get most of it together. K
Old 09-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by angelarose
Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Now that I have decided to hand quilt my wall hanging, I can see why so many people make quilt top after quilt top yet don't actually turn their quilt tops into finished quilts. Quilting is tedious and hurts my fingers. lol I WILL continue and I won't give up but I'm itching to start another quilt top. How many quilt tops do you have that are waitin for the day you find enough energy to make them into actual quilts? :-D
I have one quilt top to finish...I just hate to "sandwich" and finish the quilts. Lots of quilters feel the same way. There 's nothing fun or creative to finishing the quilt...that's my justification for having that beautiful Log Cabin quilt top neatly folded and on a hanger in the closet!!! It's supposed to be a large wall hanging and my husband is wondering when he's going to get the request to put up the hardware!!!! I haven't tied any of my quilts. The ones I finished I hand quilted (baby size) without a hoop, but pinned it like crazy. The other quilt I stitched in the ditch...not as easy as I thought it would be.
Just don't feel guilty about not getting around to making the tops into actual quilts...seems to be a very common trend.
Angela
When you hand quilt, do you really quilt in the ditch or 1/4 in. away from it? I thought that it would be be too tough to actually quilt in the ditch by hand. K
Old 09-10-2010, 01:58 PM

I finish each quilt competely, right down to the binding and label - but I do have several on the go at the same time.

Right now I have one I am handquilting and 2 I am piecing.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM

I only have one. I am keeping it until I get the nerve to really, really, seriously try FMQ. I've done it on toss away blocks, and I swear it confounds me very time. Looks like a 5 year old did it. Until I get good, and comfortable, and then really good at it, I'm not touchging that one quilt top. the rest of them I outline and SID.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM

When I finish a top I begin to hand quilt it. I also begin another quilt that I can work on to give me a break from quilting. Right now I am almost finished quillting my Autumn Leaves quilt and I have 3 hand appliqued blocks of Sunbonnet Sue almost finished. Each of those blocks need hand embroidery and embellishments which I will do at a much later time.