Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilt tops do you have? >

How many quilt tops do you have?

How many quilt tops do you have?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM

i have 2 that need to be put together. need my hubby's help to get them sandwiched. good luck with yours. lorene :)
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Hmmm, only one top came to mind immediately, then I remembered the one hanging on the wall in front of the closet door in my sewing room, then I remembered the wall hanging waiting to be sandwiched and quilted, and then of course there's the little wall hanging I'm making for fall... so I guess that makes 3 or 4.

I usually either send a top to a longarm quilter or tie it. I am currently finishing up my first attempt at machine quilting one myself. It's far from perfect. Gotta start somewhere I guess.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Well, I can say I have a few, hidden here and there. I am so happy to learn that I am not alone.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Originally Posted by MaryKay
I have just joined, this is my first post. I am so glad to know many of you have unfinished quilt tops. Now I may not have to hide them from my husband because I can tell him "oh everyone has lots of unfinished quilt tops."
LOL! Absolutely! I was sitting on the couch next to my DH yesterday, quilting my wall hanging, when I told him that it apparently was perfectly normal to have several quilt tops unfinished. He said he didn't think it was a good idea. lol He probably saw in his mind the sewing starting to fill with fabric and quilt tops and slowly pushing him and his small craft table out.
My daughter had a challenge at the MQX in KC year before last. They had to quilt a quilt from a pattern in the KC Star. She went to the cedar chest where her late MIL's unfinished tops are stored (her hubby is 65) and pulled out a quilt top made in the 1930's and she finished it for the show. She said there were quite a few pieced tops in that cedar chest that hadn't been quilted yet.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
My daughter had a challenge at the MQX in KC year before last. They had to quilt a quilt from a pattern in the KC Star. She went to the cedar chest where her late MIL's unfinished tops are stored (her hubby is 65) and pulled out a quilt top made in the 1930's and she finished it for the show. She said there were quite a few pieced tops in that cedar chest that hadn't been quilted yet.
I would LOVE to find quilt tops from the 30's and 40's to quilt. I always look for quilt tops at our local antique mall but they are very few and far between. Actually, I did find one about a week ago but it was made completely from 60's and 70's polyester leisure suits. No thank you! lol
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 AM

right now I am just working on one. But I have tons in my mind!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I only have one....I make it a point to completely finish one before starting another one!...please don't throw things at me!! :lol:
Yep, me too. Granted, the one I have is my first quilt (and I just got my backing/batting/basting spray today, so hopefully it will be done soon), but I didn't start this top until I'd finished my unfinished dining chair cushions and placemats I'd been working on. This is mostly because my workspace is my dining table...I have to finish one thing before moving on to the next to keep myself organized and still be able to sit my family down for a meal.

When I was shopping for my backing and spray, I was so so so tempted to buy a bunch of cute FQ bundles I saw...but I restrained myself because a) they weren't on sale and b) I already have another project in the planning stages (and the material for it). If they'd been on sale, I would have bought them without a second thought. lol
Old 09-10-2010, 12:03 PM

I am so glad to hear a lot of people have way more than me. I have six ready to quilt. I've been fretting over them all summer. I started one on my long arm and didn't realize the tension wasn't correct until I had about one third done. Arghhhh! So I am now picking all the stitching out. I need better lighting in my sewing room.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 PM

I put them on my bed. cut out the back first then lay the batting on top and cut with my electric scissors. Then I so something else to rest. Then I pin all. Then take it to my table and keep smoothing layers until they are smooth. I love the feel of my fabric as I smooth it out and think about how I will quilt it. Very insperational.
Then I an excited to quilt.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo
Now that I have decided to hand quilt my wall hanging, I can see why so many people make quilt top after quilt top yet don't actually turn their quilt tops into finished quilts. Quilting is tedious and hurts my fingers. lol I WILL continue and I won't give up but I'm itching to start another quilt top. How many quilt tops do you have that are waitin for the day you find enough energy to make them into actual quilts? :-D
I hand quilted one top, and if I would have had to quilt them all like that I would have given up long ago. But I learned to machine quilt, starting with straight stitch in the ditch and progressing on to freemotion. Much better!!! Keep making tops and work on the hand quilting as you can; or machine quilt or send them out. Quilters like to do one part more than the other - that's why longarmers have such a good business!