Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >
  • Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

• Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by LadyJrhi
    The cat peed on my DH in my pickup about 5 yrs ago...we scrubbed and extracted 2 or 3 times with enzymatics...you can still smell it on a hot day. (In the truck that is...not on DH! *laugh*)
    I think the cat needs a new home. Or maybe spend a couple hours in the cat kennel! Hope you can get it out!!
    Old 12-23-2010, 05:31 PM

the cat would be stew lol!!!!!
    Old 12-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Good luck! There is a lot of good advice here. Please keep us posted what you finally did. I hope you can find a cleaner. I would hate to have to cut out a piece and re-piece it! After treating and washing, hanging it outside couldn't hurt. You didn't mention if your cat is neutered. If not, it will really reduce the smell of his urine. Tomcat urine is very nasty. Sometimes neutering stops the spraying, but probably not if he is an older adult and is doing it because he is upset. I feel your pain as I have three cats who I love dearly. Thankfully they all get along and no one feels the need to "mark". Good luck again!
    Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Might try backing soda in the wash. That helps with odors.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM

I have always had good results with white vinegar.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:06 PM

I TOO have had a cat problem.......one of mine, the great big black/white one (who should have been named Fat ALbert) has decided that he likes the carpet behind the couch in the den............as his private litter box......I was in there, thinking it sure did smell yuk and strange, and I started looking for whatever it was......yep, I found it alright.......so far, I have tried several things (like plastic bags, all over that carpet, cats hate that sound) and flea spray (they hate that too) but he still trys to go back there......any suggestions from anyone on this? he is fat and old, but he has never been a thin cat anyways (at least, not once he got rescured and gets plenty of food).
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
    I TOO have had a cat problem.......one of mine, the great big black/white one (who should have been named Fat ALbert) has decided that he likes the carpet behind the couch in the den............as his private litter box......I was in there, thinking it sure did smell yuk and strange, and I started looking for whatever it was......yep, I found it alright.......so far, I have tried several things (like plastic bags, all over that carpet, cats hate that sound) and flea spray (they hate that too) but he still trys to go back there......any suggestions from anyone on this? he is fat and old, but he has never been a thin cat anyways (at least, not once he got rescured and gets plenty of food).
    Can you put a litter box back there? If not, can you cover the spot with a piece of furniture? He's going to keep going there as long as it's available and bears his "mark", but I'd be curious to know why he started going there in the first place. Solve the underlying issue first, then cut off his private potty or he'll just go find a new one.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:24 PM

wash it in white vinegar. Had it happen years ago. The vinegar takes the oily residue and the odor out. You will need to rinse it twice.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 PM

My DD has 13 cats - 6 inside and 7 outside.
    I have had similar problems, and most recently, one of them peed on the satin choir stoles I was working on. Luckily it is costume satin and washable. I put in washer with All clear/unscented detergent, with a scoop of OxyClean and a 1/2 cap of Clorox 2 on permanent press. When finished, I held up and checked for cat smell. Had none (if there had been any smell, I would have done process over until no smell. You do not want to put in dryer until all the smell is gone) so put in dryer with Bounce sheet and dried on permanent press. Worked fine and took smell all way out.
    I have used this same method for 6 yards of batting, two table runners, and various pieces of fabric they have used for their busines over the past year or so. Alway's works. Thankfully they only do this occasionally, but still one too many times for me.
    If I could only figure out how to get the smell out of the cutting mat now, I would have it made. Good luck.
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 PM

soak it in cold water, use grandmas stain cleaner
    take cat to vet, UTI it sounds like
    then use BIZ on the spot and scrub with a toothbrush
    that cant be used for anything else
    wash well
    see if you can smell it after it dries
    if so rewash
    so NOT DRY IN A DRYER
    until it is smell free (if itsnt ever smell free, replace fabric and batting in that area) sorry