Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
have any of you decided to just go gray? >

have any of you decided to just go gray?

have any of you decided to just go gray?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM

I am a former practicing hair colorist. Given my ancestery, Sweedish Mom, Irish/Englilsh Dad, my hair is and was not a good match for my skin color. That is a nice way of saying that my own color is a flat color that makes my skin look like I am comming down with hepatitus. LOL. My sister got the awesome chestnut hair. I have friends and had customers whoose white/grey color is stunning. Mine or Mom's didn't look good turning. Another factor, my snot hair, pardon the expression, behaves better after being colored. The color I use is more suited to my personality, kind of Carol Burnett like. LOL.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM

PS. while in the salon I had a customer who wasn't happy about how long it was taking the beautiful silver to come in. We reverse frosted enhancing streaks till she had enough silver to look great. I loved doing her hair, it was so much fun comming up with the match for the dark.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

I am starting to have my first grey 47. Dh asks me if he needs to color it everytime it starts growing out. As long as he asks me I will color it. He is my hair stylist when it comes to coloring it. Also some of my children are very young, two are 5 year olds, I don't want to be known as their grand mother.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 AM

I have colored my hair since I was 18 (61 now) I never really knew what color it was because of all the experimentation. I have had red,blonde,platinum, party pink, green, brown...well you get the pic. After a serious illness several years ago, it started falling out. I am fine now and am just letting it go natural, I am very fortunate to have thick hair and love just having it done once a week. Saving so much money on coloring- to buy fabric with!!! LOL
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM

I like my gray hair. Been going gray for about 20 years. Also stopped having it permed. Now it is wavy and almost completely grey/white. I earned every last one of those grays. If you get the right cut it is very attractive.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM

I guess I'm really lucky. I'm 66 and have just a few gray hairs. My mother went gray in her early 40's but my father was a red head and his just faded. He never really grayed. I must have gotten that gene from him. :) Unfortunately more are beginning to show up. I'll probably start coloring it again soon. I don't like gray.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I had a grey streak by time I was 23. At 25, my boss said,"You are too young to be so grey. Color your hair!" So I did what was then called a reverse frost (now I think they call it low lights). I did that thru my 30s, then all over color thru my 40s. When I was 51, I was tired of coloring and stopped. Got a nice short cut. Was I amazed at how grey I was! Never realized....! But it's a nice, all-over grey. And the grey hairs are coarser, so I have more body. I love it and am very glad I stopped.

Grey is the new blond, you know!
Old 03-26-2011, 05:55 AM

I used to color my hair but quit and feel much better being myself. Besides that I figure I earned the grey. My husband has no grey and he is old than I but it makes no difference to him.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 AM

I started going grey at about 25. It looked like "highlights". Tried the coloring routine for about 10 years and just gave it up. The smell and thought of all those chemicals. YUK. Now, I'm totally grey and I guess of a certain age, that frankly ,I don't care. I like my hair the way it is.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM

I am 66 and decided gray is fine. Every time I have tried to do anything but frost, strange things have happened--once a weekly rinse turned it flame red and had to go out. Another time the rinse turned it burgandy and had to go out. I gave up.