Who likes to garden

Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
I have had a large garden all my married life. My DH made me promise I will quit when I`m 75 yrs old. So I only have 3 yrs left. I can every thing I can, freeze cabbage for soup base, broccaly for myself & son-in-law. I can mixed veggies for soup, and have a large orchard so I can peaches, apples, pears,mulberries,charries, black berries, & boyson berries. Then in fall we dry walnuts, for bakeing & eating. I have nearly every veg. in my garden. Can`t wait to start.
Don't quit! My Grandma gardened til she was 94, and loved doing it. It helped keep her healthy and happy.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:31 AM

My daughter wants to get me a dehydrator for Mothers Day. Does anyone have any idea what I could do with it?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:08 AM

We love aspasgus...we are on our third year and so far have had 5 meals with aspasgus....we plant 5 more plants every year....well worth it. The taste is incredible!
Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
My DH puts out a garden every year. I had no idea that it took 3 years to get anything from the aspasagus plant. He has taught ne alot.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 AM

Its really easy...get the Bali book. We canned for the first time last year so glad we did...we did tomatoes,pickles and relish. This year we are going to double it and also do Squash and beans. We were so surprise how easy it was and so good!!
Originally Posted by Jshep
Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
Love to garden!! Also prefer my own tomato sauce, tomato juice, salsa, spaghetti sauce, chili sauce, apple sauce, pear sauce and jelly over store bought. Now if I could only find a way to grow more time to get everything done!!!
How do you can your tomatoe sauce and spaghetti sauce?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 AM

Asparagas should be at your garden store. They sel them as the roots. Many times in a different spot then the reg. plants. Good luck...you will love them! They do multiply but takes a few years. The years fly...we we first planted them I thought yah right...three years...well its been three quick years.
Originally Posted by gunny148
Got a garden out back and i always over plant. so i call my sister and we can what we can and give to neighbors.i already have asperigus its in the 4th year and i put 15 new plants last year.
This is my first year to plant asparagas. I only put out three plants. That was all I could find. Do they multiply?
Old 05-29-2011, 02:19 AM

here is a good Basil tip- Just before the frost clip all your excess basil [or other garden herb], wash and chop. Place the chopped basil into the ice cube trays filling to the top; then add olive oil. Freeze and pop cubes into a freezer bag. Toss into recipe when needed.- They grow well in pots so for those who do not have a yard or just hate to weed...that is a wonderful option.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 AM

We garden, can and freeze much of our own food. It the summer time it always neat to have supper with nothing but what we grow ourselves :-)

Vicky
Old 05-30-2011, 02:47 PM

My daughter wants to get me a dehydrator for Mothers Day. Does anyone have any idea what I could do with it?
A book comes with it. I have had mine for about 25 years. You can dry anything --veggies , herbs, beef jerky. I have made fruit roll-ups from apple sauce and strwberries. Dried green beans , carrots, stored in jars and used for soups. apples sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar , and dried for a snack.