Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you afford to quilt if..... >

How do you afford to quilt if.....

How do you afford to quilt if.....

Old 04-17-2011, 11:58 AM

So True! I feel the same!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM

I have a friend who uses tablecloths for backings. Another uses polar fleece for backing - no need for batting then. Buy the fleece when the stores have it on sale for $3 yard. It's 60" wide so there is more fabric to use.
When going through the closet to clear out older clothes consider using them in quilts. Check with restaurants that use tablecloths. They may be willing to give you their older ones or ones with tears or stains.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 PM

This is my entertainment budget! I don't drink, smoke, or shop a lot for "stuff" so this is what I consider my hobby budget.

I shop yard sales if I see an ad for fabric or estate sales, or craigslist. I don't really spend a lot of time at these either, but the times I have scored...I can sell what I don't like and use the rest or buy what I need.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 PM

My husband and I are both retired and have to watch our budget. In some way that makes it easier. We only need one car so we save there and we're both trying to save on electricity because that's always been a big expense for us. I only use the dryer for fifteen minutes when I do laundry just for certain items to get the wrinkles out and then I air dry them. Not using the dryer saves so much money. As far as money spent on fabric, I usually only buy from the sale tables.