Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM

My husband deer hunts and once I asked him about how much the deer meat we eat cost a lb. After a little discussion we decided just to enjoy it and not think about the cost.
The same was decided about the quilts I make. We just enjoy the pleasure we get out of what we both do and are thankful we are able to do it.

Bdor
Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Whatever I spend, it's less than therapy would cost! I became a new mom - again - at 57 (we inherited my husband's great grands) and this is what keeps me sane. Cost doesn't matter because the people who receive my gifts know how much love went into them! It's a great question, though, and one I have occasionally wondered about.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by luv-e
As a Quilter, the cost is not a concern to me BUT it is finding the right HOME for it that concerns me!!!!!
I don't want to go and see it under a car!!!!, Puppies being born on it!!! or in a closet!!!!![lol lol heard it here]
I want to know it will be loved and used on the bed where it should be.... That is my priceless moment!!!
but that is just me......
:D :D :P :lol: :thumbup:
Old 05-30-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boys
The last quilt (queen size) I made for me cost:

Fabric $158
Batting $54
Backing (used King sheet found marked down) $11

I took it work to show another person who is thinking of making the same one and had someone ask me to make one and she would pay me $100 I think my eye roll answered her question. I also make alot of baby quilts for gifts and try to keep the cost under $50
That is about the same costs I came up with when trying to figure a cost, but if you have to hire a long arm quilter it would be at least another $200 depending on the amount of qulting done. That doesn't add anything in for sewing the quilt.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM

My avatar is the most expensive one to date. The cottan fabric, felted wool and pattern totaled almost $300. Then I paid $200 to have it quilted. As far as I'm concerned, it is totally worth it. But I wouldn't want to do that very often.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Not me...at least not with my quilts. But the closest I could come would be the batting I get for the QFK's kits...I get a poly batting, 108" wide at $5.00/yard. I get 3.5 yards and get 6 quilts out of that...so that would be $2.92 per quilt...I think my math is ok...and I haven't even factored in any 40% off coupon I might use....

So, last year I made about 85 of their kits... = $248.20 not counting the postage...(I didn't need to know this! :shock: )
:thumbup:
Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by imadispatcher
Where do you get fabric at $5.00 yd
Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon has a section with 50% off yardage.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Not me...at least not with my quilts. But the closest I could come would be the batting I get for the QFK's kits...I get a poly batting, 108" wide at $5.00/yard. I get 3.5 yards and get 6 quilts out of that...so that would be $2.92 per quilt...I think my math is ok...and I haven't even factored in any 40% off coupon I might use....

So, last year I made about 85 of their kits... = $248.20 not counting the postage...(I didn't need to know this! :shock: )
:thumbup:
last year I had to keep track of my hours and $$ used in everyday charity things, driving elderly to dr. appts, quilts, pillow slips, etc..

it came to over 800 hours and well over $2,000 in food/cash donations.....cut back considerably this year..esp. when gas went over $3.00!
Old 05-30-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock:
I agree. If I kept track I'm afraid I couldn't afford to keep me and my hobby. lol.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM

I have a youth qult project on mylist of to do. Number one I am using as material a light green twin sheet that I took apart which is a two-hundred count, 60% cotton and 40% polyester blend, 5.00. The yellow full sheet taken apart was a full sheet and 250 thread count, 50% cotton &50% polyester 5.99. The center, because the buyer dosen't want a heavy quilt is going to be two layers of a 60/40 sheet, white king size 14.00. While looking for material to make my pratice piece for this quilt I found yardage of 250 thread count material printed with baby carriages, puppies holding bones and park benches, on a green the same color as the material I'm using for the top. Its about five yards 44 inches wide and I got it when Walmart was closing out their material sections for 1.00 a yard. 5.00. I'm useing white thread which I pick up every other month for personal use. It was agreed the quilt would be tied with thick crechet thread I also buy on large spools. Thread and cord are like bathroom tissue, unless I buy it special for a realitive I don't charge for something I am going to use on many projects. I used 6 hours to do the match in changing sizes of the quilt from a queen 80"x96" to my size youth 45"x63". The diffinition of a youth bed is the one that a long crib matterss fits into when the sides come down. It allows for the quilt to be folded up over the pillow. My charge for any work is always 30.00 an hour. So before I even layout the material is that is 210.00 on her tab. I didn't charge for the time it took to undo the stitching in the sheets because they were my choice of material. The block pattern I am using I got for free online, so there is no charge there. I antisipate on working five hours a day four days a week, (because there are just some days I don't feel like working)for two to three months. You do that math. There are however factors in my projects that can't be put on a money scale. After the intial agreement on specifics, I don't allow anyone to bother me with that when will it be done,' or 'can you do this instead or add this?' This couple wants an appliqued quilt for their younger son and know it will have to wait for a second one. I quilt to destress, not to impress, so if I bring work up to my bedroom it is to keep the voices away at night, I don't charge for that. I don't collect
the agreed on price until the work is finished. If after months they say they don't have the money, I have a quilt to sell to someone else. No stress. As any one who has had any entrepreneurial traing and experience, you must consider the demographics of your clientele. Established doctors, not residents will pay the $1800.00 for a twin quilt made on machine and by hand. [that's how I work] A nurse will pay $600. Middle income and upper lower will save and pay $250. and be gratful. I have always given each quilt great care in it's making, so ther is no change in quality for the prices.
To attest to the quality of my work, when I debut my quilts at Art Scape in 2007 I had four offers for people who wanted ro be my artist agent, and sell them in shops as far away as florida. Too may people wanted to know if I gave classes and where was my shop. And until then I never even heard of GeeBend quilts, which everyone seemed to think they were a part of and how did I get them. I still get emails the biginning of the summer fairs season to be a vendor in areas from washinginton D.C to Pennsylvania. Quilting is a very personal craft. It is up to the indivdual to set what price he or she sees fit.