Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 AM

I've made 6 quilts in the last year. Each one is slightly smaller or equal to queen size. Lots of fabric loss in seams with my pattern, and I always over buy. I want to say i spend about $100.00 on the top, $70.00 on the back, $30.00 for the batt and another $65.00 for quilting. Sewing a quilt is def a labor of love, I can buy nice quilts from Kohl's for far less!! LOL So, $265.00 per quilt
Old 05-31-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by oldbalt99
I have a youth qult project on mylist of to do. Number one I am using as material a light green twin sheet that I took apart which is a two-hundred count, 60% cotton and 40% polyester blend, 5.00. The yellow full sheet taken apart was a full sheet and 250 thread count, 50% cotton &50% polyester 5.99. The center, because the buyer dosen't want a heavy quilt is going to be two layers of a 60/40 sheet, white king size 14.00. While looking for material to make my pratice piece for this quilt I found yardage of 250 thread count material printed with baby carriages, puppies holding bones and park benches, on a green the same color as the material I'm using for the top. Its about five yards 44 inches wide and I got it when Walmart was closing out their material sections for 1.00 a yard. 5.00. I'm useing white thread which I pick up every other month for personal use. It was agreed the quilt would be tied with thick crechet thread I also buy on large spools. Thread and cord are like bathroom tissue, unless I buy it special for a realitive I don't charge for something I am going to use on many projects. I used 6 hours to do the match in changing sizes of the quilt from a queen 80"x96" to my size youth 45"x63". The diffinition of a youth bed is the one that a long crib matterss fits into when the sides come down. It allows for the quilt to be folded up over the pillow. My charge for any work is always 30.00 an hour. So before I even layout the material is that is 210.00 on her tab. I didn't charge for the time it took to undo the stitching in the sheets because they were my choice of material. The block pattern I am using I got for free online, so there is no charge there. I antisipate on working five hours a day four days a week, (because there are just some days I don't feel like working)for two to three months. You do that math. There are however factors in my projects that can't be put on a money scale. After the intial agreement on specifics, I don't allow anyone to bother me with that when will it be done,' or 'can you do this instead or add this?' This couple wants an appliqued quilt for their younger son and know it will have to wait for a second one. I quilt to destress, not to impress, so if I bring work up to my bedroom it is to keep the voices away at night, I don't charge for that. I don't collect
the agreed on price until the work is finished. If after months they say they don't have the money, I have a quilt to sell to someone else. No stress. As any one who has had any entrepreneurial traing and experience, you must consider the demographics of your clientele. Established doctors, not residents will pay the $1800.00 for a twin quilt made on machine and by hand. [that's how I work] A nurse will pay $600. Middle income and upper lower will save and pay $250. and be gratful. I have always given each quilt great care in it's making, so ther is no change in quality for the prices.
To attest to the quality of my work, when I debut my quilts at Art Scape in 2007 I had four offers for people who wanted ro be my artist agent, and sell them in shops as far away as florida. Too may people wanted to know if I gave classes and where was my shop. And until then I never even heard of GeeBend quilts, which everyone seemed to think they were a part of and how did I get them. I still get emails the biginning of the summer fairs season to be a vendor in areas from washinginton D.C to Pennsylvania. Quilting is a very personal craft. It is up to the indivdual to set what price he or she sees fit.
BRAVO! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 AM

I don't have the "funds" to do as many projects as I would like. I have noticed that for my quilt class EVERY SINGLE TIME, when I just "add" up in my head, even with getting the fabric usually for 40% or 50% off at JoAnn's, it always costs me $75.00 to $100 just for the fabric, backing, and batting. Then the one I handquilted for my son that took me YEAR off and on to finish...well whatever that is worth. If I handquilted for somebody for a price, I'd have to definitely ADD IN SOME COSTS. Now, how much an hour would you charge for the quilting part, either hand or machine?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
Well, I know it's not a bed quilt, but a quilted table runner that I made for my mom for Christmas.

Fabric:
Panel - $6
Sashing - $3
Backing - $12
Binding - $2.50
Batting (I used scraps, but I guesstimated this) - $3.50
Label (Hand Embroidered on Muslin) - .50
Embroidery Thread - .50

I am happy you posted this-I know when you make a gift, it doesn't matter the cost, but it is nice to know for your own personal records the cost going into it
Thread - $3
This total: $31

Labor:
9 hours @ $20 an hour (I handstitch binding)- 180

So.. $211 for a 24x58 table runner. Excluding electricity and water for the iron and machine.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM

I buy here & there, & use so many fqs, with lots of different fabrics in my quilts, so have no real way to figure this all out. That, &, not sure I even want to, lol...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 AM
nab

I go for denial too. I would probably quit if I know how much I spend. I then would really feel guilty.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:53 AM

I just finished Joann's Imperial Splendor BOM for my dear sister-in-law. Not counting my time, I estimate $300. The cost to have it long-armed quilted was $145 alone.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM

I always buy my fabric from my LQS so most of the time it is not "real cheap" As it is I just recently made two quilts both different values
quilt 1: 2 x charm packs $16.45 each
1 metre fabric for border on sale for $10/metre
1 spool thread $8.95
1.6 metre batting $22.95
wide back backing fabric $24.94 (can't remember exactly)

quilt 2: fabric for quilt top including binding $174
batting $45 (bought more than I really need but couldn't remember size of quilt top)
wide back backing fabric $32.95
$10.95 for thread spool (buy one get one free)

I had both these quilt tops long arm quilted, the first one was for charity so no cost second one cost $122 to quilt.

So over all quilt 1 cost was = approx $90
quilt 2 cost was = approx $384.90

As you can see my quilt costs vary - (as do most other peoples I should imagine).

Maybe1day
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM

I made a twin quilt as a graduation present for my niece that ended up costing over $150.00, and I did the machine quilting myself! A little spendy to do too many projects like that close together, but the finished quilt was so pretty!! Too bad I never got a thank you from my niece, hope she liked it.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM

I made a twin quilt as a graduation present for my niece that ended up costing over $150.00, and I did the machine quilting myself! A little spendy to do too many projects like that close together, but the finished quilt was so pretty!! Too bad I never got a thank you from my niece, hope she liked it.