Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I dont always think just about the financial cost...it is usually so much more!!! Don't want to use my time trying to track the financial part.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Just sent a 'jar' quilt to the LA so let me see...34 (1.2 yd)pieces at 4.50 per piece - $153. The field fabric another $26 and then the backing another $33. Thread say $5. And then roughly 100 hours (on and off for a month). That is roughly $217 for materials + $200 to quilt and @$7 per hour would be $700 so it looks like a little over $1100. Really it is enough fabric for about 3 quilts when I get done but for me it is worth every penny. ****Just wanted to add that this is pretty pricey but that is what I get going to the LQS and hanging out one afternoon. I could have gotten by a lot cheaper but I was determined to use only RJR fabrics for this one. I had never limited myself to the higher quality fabric but I did this time. I can't afford to make this a habit but for this one quilt it is worth it. I will post photos once it comes back and I bind it. It is really a unique quilt and very different from what I normally do.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:33 PM

I usually make queen size quilts and I don't always buy the backing at the same time I buy the top or even the batting, so when I actually add it up, for my on curiosity I find that I have spent anywhere from $150 to $200 for a quilt and that is on sale. So far I have not kept but two wall hangings. I will make quilts for my friends to give away as gifts, but they are willing to pay for all the fabric and let me keep what is left over for my stash, since I do not have much yet. In the past three years that I have been quilting I think I have made about a 20 quilts, and have 4 or 5 in progress now.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:43 PM

If quilting gives you enjoyment why count the cost as negitive. Concider it one of the basic needs!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Well, I know it's not a bed quilt, but a quilted table runner that I made for my mom for Christmas.

Fabric:
Panel - $6
Sashing - $3
Backing - $12
Binding - $2.50
Batting (I used scraps, but I guesstimated this) - $3.50
Label (Hand Embroidered on Muslin) - .50
Embroidery Thread - .50
Thread - $3
This total: $31

Labor:
9 hours @ $20 an hour (I handstitch binding)- 180

So.. $211 for a 24x58 table runner. Excluding electricity and water for the iron and machine.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM

I think I've tried to figure this out once before, but I didn't have enough time to work the numbers. I had to get back to quilting. Let's just say it really does cost quite a bit of money from beginning to end when making one of these heirlooms. The fact that some of us get our fabrics at yard slaes, estate sales, thrift shops or GoodWill is just a bonus. Our time can't quite be figured into the price because if we did try to account for every hour of our time spent on the entire process a quilt could cost into the thousands. I don't know of anyone who would pay that much for it. Not to even mention if the quilt is finished on a long arm and the expense for that as well.

I once visited a handicapped woman in a small town and she made quilts by hand. I looked at a very pretty quilt in a king size and the price tag was $1250......I gagged and my husband thought that was totally outragous. Now that I am quilting and understand the process from beginning to end, I could see that her price was cheap for the size that it was. Can anyone understand the cost? Not if they don't understand the process and we all know this is a process. For every choice we make will determine it's final look. I don't know how many times I've had a fabric in mind and searched high and low in all my magazines to find the perfect pattern. This can take hours. Then the coordinating fabric. Well keep adding time. And maybe the pattern isn't rignt, so I keep looking. But I do have to admit that when I need to make a quilt it usually has a reciepent in mind and I try to work off that. After all, if it's going to be for a child then I will choose an appropriate pattern and fabric based on the child.

At the present time, I got my machine back out and fnished :
.....the baby quilt for a friend's baby shower
.....sewn on the label for my son's quilt
.....sewn on the label for my granddaughter's wall hanging
.....finished cutting and making 16 block squares for a friend's quilt. This will be posted as soon as the top if finished. And I must say I think it's coming out really nice. This will be a gift for her birthday which was May 6th. Delayed due to my husband's passing. So now I am trying to get back into the swing of things and I am pushing myself to finish some projects in the pending.

Happy Quilting to All
Old 05-30-2011, 02:41 AM

For me it isn't relevant. Quilting is:

Entertainment
Medicine -- it forces my brain to work in ways I would not use it.
It keeps my blood pressure down.
It relaxes me.
Social -- it has broadened my social circle to include the world.

Therefore, Quilting is: Priceless
Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 AM

For a queen size quilt that I quilt myself with LQS material/batting/backing and thread - I figured it was 125.00. I make them for family members...I buy theme materials that match the personallies of the receiver which I can not find in a Joann's and I also like the thicker materials at the LQS.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I have three employees retiring in two weeks. I made each of them a throw. When another employee asked if I was giving a monetary gift, I said no, I was making a quilt.
You would have though I had three heads. I figured out the cost:
9 fat quarters - $18.00
Backing - $15.00
Borders - $5.00
Batting - $11.00
Thread - $2.50
Total - $51.50

Per quilt plus time. So, I think that is generous gift.
It is very generous!
A old friend asked me make a quilt for her new grand-baby. I emailed her what the materials would cost "approximately". I sent her some links for quilt pattern ideas to choose from. I did not mention "labor" charges. This was 2 weeks ago. I never heard back from her! Now maybe she has not had time to research what she wants me to make for her but after I did a follow up email , still no answer. I think this is a dead issue now. Whatever...I don't have time to make one esp is she waits too much longer. (she is not in my current social circle, someone from my past circle.)
sandy
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I figure $100.00 for the top. This does not include backing, batting, thread. You need 8 - 10 yards per top (depends on pattern) multipled by $10.00 a yard, which is now getting to be wishful dreaming. So another 6 - 8 yards for the back ($60 - $80 bucks) This is for a queen size top. Smaller top = less fabric = less expense. If you send it out to be quilted there can easily be another $100.00. So $300 + batting and thread. Not a cheap hobby but a labor of love
$100.00 for long arm quilting??? We pay much more around here. I think that is the REAL cost of making a quilt. Probably because I pull fabric from my stash.