Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT? >

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Why Do You....(dare I say it)...QUILT?

Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
My favorite "vacation" when I was young was visiting my granny's farm.They did not have many worldly posessions, but what they did have was food, shelter, and warmth. We spent quality time, picking vegetables, snapping beans, taking a bath in a round tub in the kitchen, using an out-house, wringer washing machine, hanging out clothes, well water, wood stoves, and granny cooked on her wood stove. It was the best time of my life. She would sew at the treadle, and we were never cold, from all the quilts she made. Yes they got inside plumbing, and life became a little simpler, but my love of the farm never went away. So you can say I quilt because of my granny.
I have cold chills from reading your post. Thank you for sharing
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM

It calms me while at the same time provides an avenue of artistic expression that results in a useful product.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 AM

I started quilting to carry on the traditions of my grandmother and great grandmother. I felt at the time that it was becoming a lost art. Now with that in mind, I now quilt for that reason and for self expression and for relaxation.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 AM

because I enjoy it and sometimes for the artistic expression. In the past I have made up my own designs.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 AM

If you want to comfort someone who might be young, who might be ill, who might be aged and you have been given the ability to put fabric together and create a quilt with colors, with design, what a blessing it can be for warmth, softness, napping. For a child it becomes a buddy, for an elder it becomes a warm lap robe, for the one who has not been feeling well or is recooperating from surgery it becomes the vehicle to help heal. I remember a man telling me how it comforted him in the healing process after back surgery. Just keep quilting until you can no longer do it. God bless!!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM

All of the above and it brings memories of my Granny back.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

I have always loved fabric, color, and design. When I first discovered quilts, I knew I had to do it. Because I am rather obsessive about things, I knew I would have to wait util retirement to begin. After the first class, I was quilting nonstop. I still like fabric, color, and design.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:14 AM

I have always loved fabric, color, and design. When I first discovered quilts, I knew I had to do it. Because I am rather obsessive about things, I knew I would have to wait until retirement to begin. After the first class, I was quilting nonstop. I still like fabric, color, and design.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 AM

I grew up sewing. Forgot how relaxing it was for me. My grandmother sewed for a living and so it brings back fun times I had watching and learning from her. I no longer make clothes and I don't have a desire to do it. But I do like to sew and quilting get my creative juices flowing.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 AM

For years my Mother could not understand why I didn't quilt. I remember my grandmother's back bedroom that had the hooks for hanging quilting frames. She made many quilts and thankfully I still have a few.
My Mother also made a few quilts, but did not have the time to make a lot since she worked and raised 2 children.

But when I moved to Texas in 1992, I was bitten by the quilting bug and have quilted ever since. I LOVE fabric. And I love the process of taking these fabrics and creating something lasting and beautiful.

Have also met some wonderful friends since my LQS opened a few years ago.