Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
Why bother quilting if you are not going to use them. Find a different hobby, one where the item you have made is put behind glass and never touched. Collecting bugs or something. If you make a quilt, why in the world would you put it in a closet and never use it. Have you ever been to a garage sale where someone's quilts are being sold for a few bucks. It's obvious that the quilts were never used and now they were being practically given away. If having a spot on a quilt will stress you out and it's the only thing you have to worry about, you're lucky. The one thing I have learned after being disabled,is to not sweat the small stuff. And worrying about if a quilt gets a spot is small stuff. I used to work for the USPS and at the time I would have customer's get very irate because the newspaper didn't make the truck before it delivered mail to all the Post Office's on the route. The newspaper company would drive their paper to the distributin center and sometimes they just didn't get there in time to make the truck.So, no paper that day. Oh, boy, some customers would call the office and shout at me because their paper did not come in their mail. At the same time, my Dad had had a stroke and my Mom had breast cancer. Believe me, there were times I felt like saying,Do you know how lucky you are that the only thimg you have to be upset about, is the fact the the newspaper did not come that day. I never said it, but, I sure felt like it. Use your quilts. If a quilt gets a spot on it, wash it. If it fades with time, so be it. Make another. Please don't make your quilts, and then put them away until you die and then your quilts will be sold for pennies at a garage sale. Enjoy them! Isn't that what you made them for? To be used and enjoyed?
Yikes! I'm coming out with my hands up, waving a white quilt, LOL!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Use them......that is what we make them for. I love seeing my great grands dragging their special quilts around the house. I know they are loved and that is why I make them.......
Old 05-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Absolutely. What are they for if not to use? What struck home for me was when we cleaned out my grandmother's bedroom and she had so many things she had saved for "good." It just doesn't made sense not to use them so you can enjoy them during your lifetime. The same thing goes for the "good china."
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
My phobia is that no one uses the quilts we had made and they never see the light of day
My thoughts exactly!!!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Well sorry to be so blunt but why do you make them then?? Most of us make them to be loved. I don't get it having all your quilts in a closet. Live for today because you never know what tomorrow brings.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 PM

I use my quilts. The one on my king bed where DH , me and all 3 cats sleep gets laid on, sat on, puked on, and washed numerous times. I have a sheet over it to minimize wear, but i still have to wash it. When I get a spare bedroom, i will use others there too. I'm reminded of the story of the woman whose husband had given her beautiful lingerie and she put it away for special times. She died and had never worn it. How sad that she didn't wear it for her husband. I use my china and anything else. Everyday is special!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 PM

I second all the thoughts others have mentioned urging you to use them, unless of course, you are sure that there are several museums just waiting to get their hands on them after you pass on! Using would include putting them on the wall to look at, of course, especially if there are still youngsters around who bounce on beds when you're not looking or drink grape juice near them; or pets - especially pups that chew and parrots that peck at things or kitties that scratch. In other words, if there is a good reason to fear for their safety, maybe make some adjustment, but please don't let those pretty things hide away until you're past getting any enjoyment out of them! Life is too short.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
amh

I have posted on this thread previously, and want to once again.

Thank you Quilts Rock or starting this discussion. I now realize I was not the only one who struggled with using my "good" things on a regular basis. What started as a quilt discussion has evolved into so many of us sharing what is important to each of us, what memories we treasure, etc.

And, thank you all for sharing your experiences and helping people like me to know I deserve to use the things that I do.

amh
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM

Use them! They are meant to be loved......
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 PM

I would love to make a bedspread for our bed, but I have kitties that think the bed is theirs. They play outside and when they come in they are not so clean and I would have to wash it a couple times a week. So I use an old sheet that they can sleep on. I'm afraid to go through all that work and then have to cover it with a sheet. I love them and the bed seems to be their "safe place." Sigh, what's a girl to do?