Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 05:15 PM

we have become a disposable world it is cheaper and easier to get rid of someone or something rather than try to fix it or make it work. some people spend tons of money on a wedding but next to nothing for a divorce should be the other way around the younger generation has had a real downfall of morals everything is acceptable nowadays. i am only 45 but i remember when i was young people did not discuss finances,marriage problems and the such with each other as freely as we do now. everything is just too easy!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 PM

We just hit the 51 mark Aug. 1st. Yes, it does take a lot of work, but anything worthwhile does. Just like making a nice quilt. Ha!!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:54 PM

Sometimes, like in my case I would have never gone back and I didn't and I am not sorry for it....it doesn't work when it is one sided period!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM

It's nice to know there are happy successful marriages out there. It gives me hope. My parents have been together for 20 years at least (I can't recall the exact years. :/)
At least half of the older people I know are telling me not to bother to get married. It won't work. It's a waste of time. At least I have somewhere now to talk about it. :)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:23 PM

My husband and I will be married 40 years next July. He is my world!!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Actually marriage/life is like a rose garden.

There may be some lovely roses, but there are also some thorns, a lot of cultivation to keep them decent, bugs/insects and plant diseases that have to be treated. The plants need to be pruned/trimmed to stay strong. They need to be mulched/covered in the winter season.

Basically, there are rewards. But a lot of work can be involved in getting them.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:09 PM

It will be 36 years for us this November 23rd. We dated in highschool and then separated when he went away to college(I was a year behind him in school) I married someone else who passed away when I was 19 years old. 6 months later, he ran into my brother and found out what happened--one phone call, and 2 days later we saw each other for the first time in 2 years and decided on the spot that we were meant to be together. Neither one of us believes in divorce, but it never came to anything near that. Don't get me wrong, we have had our hard times, and bad times, and we do not always agree, but when it comes down to it, we cannot live without each other. We have 2 great grown kids, a beautiful 15 year old grandaughter, and although we do things together a lot, we also give each other the time to do things by ourselves that they other does not like. Best wishes to you newlyweds---way to go the those who have stuck it out---the old values need to return, from children to adults---take life, marriage and parenting seriously and the rewards are great.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:12 PM

Congratulations on 9 years of marriage. The day after Labor Day, my wonderful husband and I will celebrate 45 wonderful years of marriage. Yes, there have been down days, but it has been worth it
to have made it this far.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Dee

We are going on 47 years. We only knew each other a month, but after all saying 6 months and it'll be over. Well, my DH says hope their still counting. Hard you bet. Lean years oh ya, but we worked things out. We raised a wonderful an adopted DS and went thru the passing of our little daughter. Marriage has to be worked on all the time. But both retired and enjoying every day together. So to young couples-work things out and have faith, love and patience and forgiveness.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 PM

I am going to jump right in about the long marriages in my family! My parents were married over 25 years when he decided the grass was greener on the other side and divorced my mother and married a woman (I won't say lady) for 2 years and then begged my mom to take him back, which she did and they were married a total of over 60 years before his death. My oldest sister has been married 60 years, the next one (who is only 3 years older than I am but married at 15) will celebrate 60 years in Dec. I've been married 46 years and my youngest sister has been married almost 48 years. My husband's side of the family is one of longevity in marriages also, his parents were married over 50 years and a brother has been married over 50 and another one was married over 50 before his wife died and his older sister has been married 47 years and his younger sister has been married for 41 years. I'm sure we've all had our bad times but as the rest of you "we've stuck together" and are stronger for it. So congratulations to us all! Even you youngsters with 2 years of marriage! (This is the first BOOK I've ever written...I hope it didn't bore you with the length of it!!!!)