• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you >
  • Long Marriages------------ Thank you

• Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 08:47 PM

57 for us and i love him more each day.

76 and counting
    Old 08-27-2010, 08:55 PM

I have been married for 28 years and could not imagine life without my husband. Sure its been tough but then again we are not quitters!

Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~Simone Signoret

Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate. ~Barnett R. Brickner
    Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM

My parents were married 66 years, my hubby's parents were married 63. My DH and I have been married almost 3 years, ( I was widowed after 34 years, and he was divorced over 15 years before we met.) Wonderful story, but too long to tell. Right now he is very ill, and I am really scared that he is fighting for his life. Please add us to your prayers,
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
    Sometimes, like in my case I would have never gone back and I didn't and I am not sorry for it....it doesn't work when it is one sided period!
    Even though I believe in making it work, I also believe that there are people out there that are not going to change.
    All situations are different. It takes two to tango. Such is my sisters case. She was in an abusive marriage for 30 some years. She is now out and happy. Too bad it took until she was in her mid 50's. But if you can make it work I say work hard at it. It is well worth it.
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:38 AM

We have been married for 36 years and I really would be lost without him. He was in the midst of a divorce when we me in Aug. of 73. He was 24 and I was 16. We were married the following June. Even my mom only gave it 6 months. My dad said if I ever hurt DH, he would take me over his knee. Part of the reason we are still together, I promised him I would never do to him what his ex did. Lots of work on both sides and the ability to forgive.
    Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN
    My parents were married 66 years, my hubby's parents were married 63. My DH and I have been married almost 3 years, ( I was widowed after 34 years, and he was divorced over 15 years before we met.) Wonderful story, but too long to tell. Right now he is very ill, and I am really scared that he is fighting for his life. Please add us to your prayers,
    IB - you are in my thoughts and prayers. May God give you his strength and peace.
    Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 AM

IB, I will pray for him.
    Old 08-28-2010, 06:40 AM

We're another long time married couple & all the good advice has already been written here.We both had parents/Grparents & siblings with long marriages.
    Our younger DD had a 1st short lived marriage before deciding to get out.They were divorced after 2 1/2 yrs & 1 baby.She wrote me a letter which I treasure to this day,saying"I never wanted nor planned to be divorced,but even yours & Dad's wonderful example can't fix the mess my life is now". All's well,as she remarried 3 yrs later & had another child.They'll soon be married 20yrs.....she learned from her mistakes.
    So, I do know not all of us can/should stay in a bad marriage.Life is not what we wish it was, but more what we make it.
    I was 2 wks past my 16th BD when we married...after 6 wks of dating & he was 22.It was the best decision I ever made.It's not been picture perfect,but it was & is a love match.It suits us both & will be married 57 yrs in Jan.
    Old 08-28-2010, 06:44 AM

HI, MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN MARRIED FOR 44 YEARS WILL BE
    45 IN DECEMBER. IT IS HARD WORK TO STAY MARRIED SO LONG.
    HOPE IT WILL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE ANYTHING HAPPENS.
    Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 AM

Well said, Ramona!

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    For newly married couples, and those who are planning on it.

ADIVCE ==Marriage is NOT everyone giving 50 percent in the marriage, it is BOTH of you giving ONE HUNDRED percent to this
    important and life long union. Life is hard, with unexpected stumbles and some lean years and maybe health issues for one or
    both, but with God's help and lots of love, you will make it for a life time of love with that special person.