Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >
  • Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

• Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 PM

Try putting his litter box in the spot he wants to go. Then you can gradually move it away to where YOU want it. Good luck! It is hard dealing with cats that pee in inappropriate places. You can buy spray to keep them away from certain areas from your Vet or pet store, but I'm not sure how well they work. Good luck!
    Old 12-23-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by smhart
    I have found a product called ECO-88 from my vets and it is amazing, no smell or discoloration left on my furniture and rug where I have used it, I have also used where my cats have messed on my clothes hamper. See if you can find some it is about $20 a large spray bottle and very much worth it.
    Like I posted earlier, Bark and Purr Pet store here in Austin sells it and I posted the website.
    Vernell in Austin
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by KyKaren1949
    My solution is to always have a dog! LOL Used to have a cat, but couldn't handle the litter box odor. She was my first and last cat. Sorry cat lovers! :-)
    Amen!
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Try This it work on my coach I soaked it with the orange miracle then let it dry completely, repeat again and again until there is no more smeel. It also worked on my mittens

Merry Christmas

Littlebelle
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 PM

I would try to soak the whole quilt and lay it out on heavy towels to dry. You could add a little BIZ to the water, but I wouldn't do much more than than before it is completely finished
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Oh What a cat. Is he still alive?? (hehe)-not relagated to back porch?? Only thing I found that works taking odor out is baking soda and water. I'd put the peed spot in a plastic container after filling with warm water and lots of baking soda, dissolved in the water. Leave it there till fibers are all soaked, maybe an hr? or 2? -maybe to long,--guess you would need to take it out and smell if smell is gone, or needs more soaking time.

I've had success putting in washer just with maybe a 4th box of baking soda and let run through cycles. If really strong, maybe needs second go round.
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by thequiltmama
    Odo ban I bought from sams club I think. My son vomited on my couch and it soaked in. The odor was so bad I couldn't even get near the couch. And it didn't help that all of the normal household stuff just masked the odor for a short while. So I bit the bullet and paid the extra money for the Odo ban. LOVE IT. Use it and then let it dry so you can finish your sewing. Then wash the quilt when done. I really do think that will work. They have a kind specifically for pet smells. Best of luck and I hope this helps. I know it did for me.
    I,too, have used Odor Ban successfully.
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:21 PM

Oh, what a baaad kitty. I am so sorry. What a beautifully made quilt. One of our kittens did the same to my daughter's new mattress. I called a carpet cleaning company who cleaned the mattress and deodorized it. After it was cleaned, I turned it over and she slept on the side that wasn't peed on. But a baby's quilt....I've used ammonia on stubborn odors. This might work.
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Everyone, I know this is a bad situation but please remember that pets are not disposable and it isn't fair to kick one out into the cold because it expressed its discomfort in a way that makes the owner...uncomfortable.

This is how cats ARE. Some cats pee on things to get a point across - I've had two of these in my life, and like LadyJrhi I figured out the triggers and stopped triggering the behavior. Simple as. If an incident occurs it's on me, and I know exactly why it happened.

Can we please stop talking about dumping the cat in a barn or taking it to a shelter or otherwise getting rid of it because of an (admittedly regrettable) incident with a quilt?

I'm sorry, I'm very sensitive about pets being neglected or abandoned simply because they acted like the animals they are. /soapbox

ETA - This is not directed at an individual. I just noticed the post right above mine - truly, just bad timing LOL I seem to have a lot of that going on today! :)
    I don't believe I said anything about abusing the cat. I'm not a cat lover, altho I have two dogs that I love. It, was my feeble attempt to be funny. to bad you couldn't detect that. sorry.
    Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
    Originally Posted by JulieR
    Everyone, I know this is a bad situation but please remember that pets are not disposable and it isn't fair to kick one out into the cold because it expressed its discomfort in a way that makes the owner...uncomfortable.

This is how cats ARE. Some cats pee on things to get a point across - I've had two of these in my life, and like LadyJrhi I figured out the triggers and stopped triggering the behavior. Simple as. If an incident occurs it's on me, and I know exactly why it happened.

Can we please stop talking about dumping the cat in a barn or taking it to a shelter or otherwise getting rid of it because of an (admittedly regrettable) incident with a quilt?

I'm sorry, I'm very sensitive about pets being neglected or abandoned simply because they acted like the animals they are. /soapbox

ETA - This is not directed at an individual. I just noticed the post right above mine - truly, just bad timing LOL I seem to have a lot of that going on today! :)
    I don't believe I said anything about abusing the cat. I'm not a cat lover, altho I have two dogs that I love. It, was my feeble attempt to be funny. to bad you couldn't detect that. sorry.
    No, that was the point of the last line, I hadn't even read your post when I wrote mine. I'm sorry if you didn't see that or felt targeted - you weren't.

Yes, I could tell you were being funny.