Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 PM

I know when I am trying to get smells out -- like when someone has thrown up -- I use baking soda in warm water & sponge it. It works really well. I've never had a cat so don't know if this would work the same. Would be worth a try. When my son & family moved into their new home, it was very clear the dogs (she was a breeder) had had the run of the house. The carpet was pulled out & the carpet layer said he had never smelled anything so bad. He suggested she was the floor (concrete) down with clorax water. She said she went thru the whole house 3 or 4 times before the guy came back to lay the carpet. It did help a lot. I know you can't use clorax on the quilt, but if you need it for concrete, it will be worth a try.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 PM

I hope this helps. I make mini quilts for the cat adoption house where I volunteer at local shelter. When I take all the dirty quilts home to wash them, they have pee on them, defecated on, etc., you name it, it's on the quilts. I wash them in oxyclean, laundry detergent, baking soda, and white vinegar. When they are done washing,t here is no odor in any of those quilts. I have been doing this since March of this year. I do not know if the combination of the white vinegar and the baking soda and oxyclean are removing the odors or not, but you would never know that they were the same filty, smelly mess when i am done washing them. I do use hot water also. I do an average of 40-60 mini quilts per week.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 PM

I haven't read all the posts yet so maybe someone has already posted this. I used a product called "ODO-BAN", sold at BJ'S warehouse. It got out doggie pee smell from thick sleeping bags. It also got rid of sour baby smell from sofa covers. You just add it to your washer when you launder your stuff.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 PM

I will PM you.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs
I have tried several things (like plastic bags, all over that carpet, cats hate that sound) and flea spray (they hate that too) but he still trys to go back there......any suggestions from anyone on this? .
I would suggest giving up and just putting a litter box back there.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tatavw01
the cat would be stew lol!!!!!
Believe me...I thought about it for about 10 seconds...but then just figured he was a cat...brain the size of a walnut...and it's not his fault he is a cat.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by fratcat
I hope this helps. I make mini quilts for the cat adoption house where I volunteer at local shelter. When I take all the dirty quilts home to wash them, they have pee on them, defecated on, etc., you name it, it's on the quilts. I wash them in oxyclean, laundry detergent, baking soda, and white vinegar. When they are done washing,t here is no odor in any of those quilts.
Wow! That is a very good recommendation for this method! Thank you. :)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 PM

When my cats pee where they are not supposed to, I have a spray to conteract the urine and the smell. It is called "Urine Eliminator" by RugDoctor. I have another one: Simple Green Bio Dog which Rids the active stain and odor when he messes up. It worked on the cat messes as well. Try the RugDoctor one first and see if it will eliminate the odor enough so you can finish the quilt and then in the wash it goes. Good luck with your project.

Sharon
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Thank you all, again, for your helpful suggestions and humor. I hope you all have a Happy Holiday Season!
Brightest Blessings!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 PM

quote[I am wondering what possessed your kitty to do this in the first place? The car trip I can see, couldn't get to a litter box but this incident hints of another underlying problem. You may want to get her checked out at the vet just to be safe, ;)[/quote]

I agree about making sure there's not something wrong with the cat because I had a wonderful cat who'd never, ever done anything in the house. When he suddenly peed in the bathtub and then in the bathroom sink right in front of me, I saw that it had blood in it. Took him to the vet who said it was a urinary tract infection and the cat was actually trying to let me know something was wrong! Once the antibiotics cleared up the infection, he never again did anything in the house.