Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it! >

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Help! My *$&#$% Cat knocked over my quilt and peed on it!

Old 12-23-2010, 11:39 PM

My cat is so big, he won't use the litter box that I have for him and his mom, so he goes on a rug I have out just for him. I wash it all the time with the garden hose and spray it down to get rid of the odor. He tops 20 pounds now and doesn't fit the door of the big box I got. And the dog goes all the time. I used to let them out on leashes, but can't here at this complex. Cats you can't walk and it is a pain, but dog goes out several times a day. Accidents happen and we have to take care of them.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 AM

LadyJrhi, I can sympathize with you. My cat seems to have OCD. Mozart, our DC (Dear Cat), is the cleanest cat ever. But about a year ago he started to pee on other places in lieu of the litter box. After taking him to the vet and trying different medications, turns out he is fine, thank God. Anyway, I found that dousing vodka worked. But, I could not deal with the smell of vodka. I guess I was the only one that could smell it. We bought Anti-Icky Poo and the Pre-Treatment and it really does work. The P-treatment is used if you tried other ingredients to treat the area. I disliked cats. But, when they are your companion and make you laugh and smile, they become your family, not just a pet. With the money I spent on Mozart, I could have bought a round-trip ticket to Europe. But, Mozart is attached to my heart and I will do all I can. We made the choice to adopt him, we are responsible to take care of him regardless of what may come. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 AM

[ a cat that liked to use the dirty laundry basket as her litter box. The smell always washed out of clothes just fine. However, I could never get the smell out of the rug if she happened to use a pile of clothes that was on the floor instead of the basket. ]

I've found that if the animal soils a natural fiber like cotton, I can get the smell and the stain out. But if the soiled item has any rubber or spandex or such in it, then the smell seems to become embedded in the thing, and no amount of washing or deodorizing removes all the smell.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 AM

Odo ban and nature's miracle are both good products, but for my thoughts you can't beat borax. I've used it for years on grandmas laundry from the nursing home, cat pee, visitors child wetting the bed etc. For things that can be dipped in water just add to a wash basin or large bowl of water and dip then blot the quilt corner dry with a towel. For things like the sofa or mattress, blot and rinse with clear water as much as possible then sprinkle the borax on the surface and rub in- let dry- vacuum. Oh the joys of the holidays.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:22 AM

Use white vinegar and blot it with that. White vinegar won't hurt the dyes in your fabric and it will cut the smell. If possible wash the quilt after you finish in white vinegar and water.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:25 AM

With all the stories about cats (and dogs) peeing, etc., let me share one that's bit different. Hope you all get a laugh from it, cause it's really true.

It was time to end our visit with our daughter in No. Carolina and return home to Ohio. She texted me to see if I was ready to meet her at her job before we left. "I'm getting ready to shower, as soon as Max (her cat) was finished showering." He waited in the tub for a stream or drip of water from the faucet. I had let a stream flow and he sat there using his paws to get fresh water and wash his face and paws, stopping every now and then to take a drink
I call him Fastidious Max now. When he was a kitten, she bathed him regularly in the tub. As soon as he was finished, he just jumped out of the tub, maybe saying "It's your turn." No mess after him either. Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:38 AM

CARPET CLEANER'S SOLUTION TO URINE:

I haven't read all the replies but:
My brother-in-law used to have a carpet cleaning business. Here's the scoop (no pun intended):
If cat pee is still wet, neutralize it with vinegar.
If cat pee has dried, wet it with amonia to re-activate it, then neutralize it with vinegar.
Then wash with regular soap and water.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:19 AM

I think your kitty wants the quilt! Let her keep it and make another! She worked hard to mark it as hers! Someday this will be laughable. If I were in the same boat I would be ready to slash my wrists!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:19 AM

Try prespot from melaleuca.com i use that for everything including cat pee before i wash it , it works great
Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM

You might go to your nearest pet store to ask what they recommend - becareful what you use - I happen to be VERY ALLERGIC to the smell of Fabreze(sp)