Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion. >

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Are the house blocks suppose to be 12 1/2 or 10 1/2 unfinished? The church block is 10 1/2 do we need to add to it?
Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Blinky
Are the house blocks suppose to be 12 1/2 or 10 1/2 unfinished? The church block is 10 1/2 do we need to add to it?
You can make the block any size you'd like. I'm assuming that most of the blocks will be 12" finished, but that's just a guess. I'm going to wait until we get all the blocks and then decide what, if anything, I want to do with them - or just add a border to all of them so they are then the same size (whatever that will be).
Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by TymeToShine
Do you press the seams open or to one side on this?
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Okay...I watched the video and actually tried a practice piece this evening...and now I know there is only one way to press the seams!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Old 01-06-2011, 05:14 AM

There was a lot of bulk at just one point. The roof left bottom triangle shape section. I snipped the seem and turned part of it in the opposite direction. I HATE doing that because I think it weekens the seam. Might have to rip out and do over and let the bulk be there :roll:
Old 01-06-2011, 09:19 AM

What a pain!! I printed the 3 pages and I checked the 1" size, it was perfect. I did page B and C... just right. I did one of the page A and layed it next to the other part of the church and it's too small!!! If I do it over I would have to do the other part with the second window because I only had enough of that fabric to do the windows (used a charm square). I'm going to leave it even though the windows aren't the same size and I'll add onto the top to make it long enough.

Then I'll need to add onto the left side of the church to make it line up to the roof.

It should have been published as a PDF, in my opinion. I copied it into Word and sized it to 100%, it was only 89%.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
What a pain!! I printed the 3 pages and I checked the 1" size, it was perfect. I did page B and C... just right. I did one of the page A and layed it next to the other part of the church and it's too small!!! If I do it over I would have to do the other part with the second window because I only had enough of that fabric to do the windows (used a charm square). I'm going to leave it even though the windows aren't the same size and I'll add onto the top to make it long enough.

Then I'll need to add onto the left side of the church to make it line up to the roof.

It should have been published as a PDF, in my opinion. I copied it into Word and sized it to 100%, it was only 89%.
Pam,
I am so sorry to hear that you are having all of this trouble with your Church pattern. Please share with us, when you get it all done. I am anxious to see how it turned out. Thank you for sharing your troubles with all of us. I know how exasperating it can be!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 PM

I have never paper pieced before and I was pulling my hair out trying to get template A square to measure 1". I came upon your post and changed to landscape and YIPPEE it worked. Thank you so much!!!! Now if I can do this paper piecing everything will be great. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Floralfab
I have never paper pieced before and I was pulling my hair out trying to get template A square to measure 1". I came upon your post and changed to landscape and YIPPEE it worked. Thank you so much!!!! Now if I can do this paper piecing everything will be great. :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
I am so glad to hear that you were able to print your pattern, at the right size. I just know you can paper piece it, too!! If in doubt, try the practice piece first!! I will be waiting to see your finished block.
:D :D :D :D
Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

I am going to try to do the B O M. I have never paper pieced and I am looking forward to trying it.