Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion. >

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM

I eyeballed it, then ripped it out, then tried again. It worked better the second time. I wasn't real particular how the plaid went on, since I really didn't want it to be straight. but I did rip out a peice of the heart fabric and reset it.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Thank you all for the info about the darker shade where it says chrch-dk. I thought that's what it meant just wanted to make sure.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:27 PM

I had problems with the first paper pieced section printing too small. I increased the margins in my Print setup and that solved the problem. Maybe it will help. Violet
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM

I'd have liked to join you all on this one but I cannot get the first pattern to print true to size and I have a new printer that I can't seem to figure out how to enlarge with. Oh the trials of the computer, I'll probably jump in next month.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by sew cornie
A question for those with more experience with pp than myself (read: if you've made this block, you have more experience than me):

What do you do with the grain of the fabric when doing angled pieces (ie. the part of the church building at the tops of the windows or where the roof is angled). Do you just eyeball it so that when it's done, it's basically going the right way? Does grain even matter in something like this?

I'd like to use plaids . . . they are so homey (Ha ha! How'd you like that one?). I got a bunch of plaid FQs for Xmas and would love to use them, but I don't want to waste them if it turns out badly. I've thought of drafting the church onto freezer paper and doing the block as applique instead of pp, but that seems like cheating here. Defeats the purpose of learning something new. Because plaids are directional, maybe this isn't a good application. Just thinking out loud here. I do have a back-up plan for another fabric selection but I'm not as excited about it. Thoughts anyone?
I am self taught using Carol Doak's instructions for PPiecing - but remember that grain of fabric is not important. I've never paid attention to it and have not had any problems. I too, have considered plaids - haven't sat down yet to try the pattern - not sure how it will work...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

I am so excited to learn this technique but I wanted to watch the tutorial again that was posted earlier on one of the forums and now I can't find it. Does anyone remember where it is or have I lost my mind?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
Thank you all for the info about the darker shade where it says chrch-dk. I thought that's what it meant just wanted to make sure.
I don't think I can always see a difference in everyone's blocks. I say if you want to do all white (or just leave out dark and light), the fabric you choose may just look how you want it to look anyway. Make it yours if it makes you happy! :)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 PM

I figured that out but in the throes of piecing, I forgot and made the peak above the door the same shade as the side with the windows. This is my first attempt at pp and tho it makes a beautiful church, it sure is a test of patience.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Keep in mind to save your sanity

That these can be great practice blocks! If you do something with them Great! if no - oh well :)

It's like a free lesson with friends!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:32 AM

I finally found the link of the piecing demo that was so helpful. Here it is in case someone else needed it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM&NR=1