Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion. >

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

1 JANUARY 2011 BOM Directions & Discussion.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Makes sense now that you say it. Thanks alot. PP give me anxiety. Takes all the fun out of quilting for me.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
It will work as long as all three are the same size, your block will just be a tad smaller and in order to bring it up to the 12 1/2 size you need to add a border anyway.
I believe it'll be UNfinished at 10 1/2.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 AM

WOW. I just spent the last two days going through this library of blocks. what a gold mine. thank you
Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
Originally Posted by Up North
It will work as long as all three are the same size, your block will just be a tad smaller and in order to bring it up to the 12 1/2 size you need to add a border anyway.
I believe it'll be UNfinished at 10 1/2.
I looked on line most house blocks are not going to be 12 1/2 inches. Some are as small as 3 inches
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Beautiful! Haven't tried paper piecing yet, but it doesn't look like a too-complicated block. Can't wait to get at it!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:43 AM

I might be the only one having a hard time.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by meesabell
I just printed off 1 page and the 1" test square does not equal 1". Using Opera browser...gonna try IE to see if that'll allow me to resize or print actual size without modification.

ETA: I was able to print it off and get the 1" test square to be 1" using Internet Explorer.
If there is a better way, I don't know it. I have to copy/paste into Word (word processing) and resize the pics to "100%". If there is an easier way to print from Firefox, please let me know. TIA!

Oh, and doing the test piece really helped give me a good idea and to make sure to have enough overlap for seam allowances.
I was able to print B and C in Internet Explorer with no issues, they were right the first time. A, I had to resize to 110% to get the gauge.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM

I was having a hard time too (printing to scale). I could not get EXACTLY 1". It was either 15/16 or 1 1/16. I'm on a mac so I don't use IE. I was anxious to start cutting and someone answered my call for help. I finally decided on 1 1/16 for A, B, C , pages.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by neeng
Originally Posted by meesabell
I just printed off 1 page and the 1" test square does not equal 1". Using Opera browser...gonna try IE to see if that'll allow me to resize or print actual size without modification.

ETA: I was able to print it off and get the 1" test square to be 1" using Internet Explorer.
If there is a better way, I don't know it. I have to copy/paste into Word (word processing) and resize the pics to "100%". If there is an easier way to print from Firefox, please let me know. TIA!

Oh, and doing the test piece really helped give me a good idea and to make sure to have enough overlap for seam allowances.
I was able to print B and C in Internet Explorer with no issues, they were right the first time. A, I had to resize to 110% to get the gauge.
Yeppers, same here! I printed A, then B & C and measured them against A and it's off just a hair. So I'm going to just cut outside the line by that much and it should be ok. I do need to add the rest on for a boarder but not sure if it's going to be just aboarder or something additional. We'll see. :?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM

A question for those with more experience with pp than myself (read: if you've made this block, you have more experience than me):

What do you do with the grain of the fabric when doing angled pieces (ie. the part of the church building at the tops of the windows or where the roof is angled). Do you just eyeball it so that when it's done, it's basically going the right way? Does grain even matter in something like this?

I'd like to use plaids . . . they are so homey (Ha ha! How'd you like that one?). I got a bunch of plaid FQs for Xmas and would love to use them, but I don't want to waste them if it turns out badly. I've thought of drafting the church onto freezer paper and doing the block as applique instead of pp, but that seems like cheating here. Defeats the purpose of learning something new. Because plaids are directional, maybe this isn't a good application. Just thinking out loud here. I do have a back-up plan for another fabric selection but I'm not as excited about it. Thoughts anyone?