Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List >
  • EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

• EQ owners, please notice User Defined Topic List

Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM

I have EQ5, spent around 70.00 for it and feel that it satisfies all my needs. I sew a quilt I think I might like to sew, reproduce it in EQ, change some fabrics to approximate ones in my stash (I simply change the background color and possibly one or two of the other colors) and then decide if I like it. Or I tweak it some. Some I don't like at all and then I feel like I have saved myself time and money. It has helped me define my own taste in quilts. It is so helpful in determining finished size to something I have put together, especially if I want it on point. The custom set is very hard to work with, but I have done it and plan to make a fall wallhanging this year from my own design. I do not bother downloading palettes from EQ either. It takes a lot of time to search for a match to a stash item and I would rather spend time tweaking the design.
    Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by abc123retired
    I have EQ5, spent around 70.00 for it and feel that it satisfies all my needs. I sew a quilt I think I might like to sew, reproduce it in EQ, change some fabrics to approximate ones in my stash (I simply change the background color and possibly one or two of the other colors) and then decide if I like it. Or I tweak it some. Some I don't like at all and then I feel like I have saved myself time and money. It has helped me define my own taste in quilts. It is so helpful in determining finished size to something I have put together, especially if I want it on point. The custom set is very hard to work with, but I have done it and plan to make a fall wallhanging this year from my own design. I do not bother downloading palettes from EQ either. It takes a lot of time to search for a match to a stash item and I would rather spend time tweaking the design.
    I do the same thing. I find colors or fabrics in the included library that are approximations of what is in my head. I was playing around with a trip quilt last night and just doing that made me realize that the color combo I had in mind was awful. The colors that actually worked are colors that I don't personally like. Now I have to decide if I really want to spend that much time working on a pattern that I really like in colors that I don't. I may just have to pull stash for this choice and see what I already have that looks good together because I'm not buying fabric for this.

Diana
    Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 AM

Enjoyed reading this thread. I've recently started "thinking" about a project (I typically think about/research them for a long time before they become a reality). I was attempting to do my planning using excel and it's cumbersome and time consuming - time that can be better spent quilting.

Would want a large library of blocks
    Ability to resize blocks
    Ability to combine multiple blocks onto a quilt
    Abiltiy to get fabric requirements and cutting directions
    Would want a good size fabric library and if possible ability to upload my own fabrics
    Bargello designs would be AWESOME

I'm sure there are more options on EQ that I would use and enjoy, but right now these are my basic "needs".

I have quilt mosiac software to upload photo's to convert to blocks, traps, freeform - for landscape quilting, so that option in EQ isn't necessary for me.

I'm assuming from reading the threads that EQ5 will fit my needs.

Am I making the correct assumption? If so, I'm going to post an ISO here on the board to see if anyone wants to sell their software.

Thanks
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom

Would want a large library of blocks
    Ability to resize blocks
    Ability to combine multiple blocks onto a quilt
    Abiltiy to get fabric requirements and cutting directions
    Would want a good size fabric library and if possible ability to upload my own fabrics
    Bargello designs would be AWESOME

I'm sure there are more options on EQ that I would use and enjoy, but right now these are my basic "needs".

I'm assuming from reading the threads that EQ5 will fit my needs.

Thanks
    Hi Dog House Mom,

EQ 5 should handle all of your list except the bargello. You cold always draw it as one whole block, but there is no magic button for that one.

Diana
    Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    Hi Dog House Mom,

EQ 5 should handle all of your list except the bargello. You cold always draw it as one whole block, but there is no magic button for that one.

Diana
    Will 6 or 7 do Bargello?
    Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    Hi Dog House Mom,

Diana
    Will 6 or 7 do Bargello?
    I just checked my 7 and it has a workaround. Maybe 5 does as well, but I've removed it and can't check for sure. Maybe another user can say for certain. I've sent you a pm with the instructions from 7's help files.

Diana
    Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Diana!
    Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
    Power Poster

I love my EQ5 It does all the things you wanted as your basic needs.

I just went and looked and there is a bargello layout in EQ5. On mine it was clear at the end of the layout pics.
    I clicked on Basics by size and chose king and went all the way to the end of the pics to find it. I just checked and found it also in the other sizes of quilts too.
    Old 04-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    I love my EQ5 It does all the things you wanted as your basic needs.

I just went and looked and there is a bargello layout in EQ5. On mine it was clear at the end of the layout pics.
    I clicked on Basics by size and chose king and went all the way to the end of the pics to find it. I just checked and found it also in the other sizes of quilts too.
    Thanks Rhonda. I posted an ISO on the sale board. Hopefully someone will have one they don't want. I was hoping that they were exhibiting at Paducah and would have a "show special", but alas they're not on the vendor page.
    Old 04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
    Power Poster

Here is one on EBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-Quilt-5...item588d61958b