Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
2016 UFO Challenge of the Month >

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

2016 UFO Challenge of the Month

Old 05-11-2016, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Anoka Quilter View Post
Blue Bell - Congratulations on the ribbon. Bet you were really happy you finished that UFO.

Oh Canada - Your WH and table runner are both beautiful. You were not kidding when you said micro stippling; however it turned out great and really sets off the stars.
How much longer will you be in Pakistan?
Thanks! I do like how the micro stippling makes the stars pop. We're in Islamabad until July 2017, but will extend our posting an extra year if asked. It has it's challenges but we like it here. I'm excited about an upcoming outing, we'll be spending a day at a textile mill to see their entire process, from cotton ball to finished fabric!
Old 05-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Great mini Fraew - your quilting choice of clamshells looks darling.

Jaba, love your latest finish, toot toot.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM

OhCanada, a question about the micro stippling or maybe just mq in general: do you do the basic mq (stitch in the ditch or outlining) first so that the layers are secured and then go back and do the micro stippling? Or do you just start in the middle, working out, regardless of what kind of mq you plan to do? Does that make sense? I'm an extreme novice at mq and am curious how you did it so that the sashing didn't get distorted despite the very heavy, and beautiful, stippling. Thanks.

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
Thanks! I do like how the micro stippling makes the stars pop. We're in Islamabad until July 2017, but will extend our posting an extra year if asked. It has it's challenges but we like it here. I'm excited about an upcoming outing, we'll be spending a day at a textile mill to see their entire process, from cotton ball to finished fabric!
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

jaba, i love your floral quilt. so pretty
Old 05-12-2016, 06:40 PM

Anoka quilter and oksewglad, Thank you. Loved making that quilt and so happy with the ribbon.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Just checking in and can't remember the last time I was here. Still so pleased that Janice is such a wonderful engineer on this train. It was a perfect day when she volunteered to take on the job this year. Speaking of you, Janice (post # 1400) I really loved your analogy of our UFO's to the Velveteen Rabbit. I had forgotten how much I love that story. And we are slowly, especially on my part, getting UFO's done and making them 'real' quilts. I have not worked on any since I did my one finish in April. Too many other irons in the fire but still love seeing all the finishes. Jaba (#1415) your finished quilt is wonderful and I, too miss Elsabrat. She was certainly a day-brightener. My goal for coming 'year' is to get one more UFO finished. Wish me luck! LOL!
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40 PM

I'm working on it, I'm working on it. A friend in my quilt club said, "That's an old one, you've been working on that a long time.....yeah, yeah, I dug it out and am trying to finish it. Don't make fun of me or I'm going back to my forum friends who are so much more supportive. Thanks forum for not making me feel out of place!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 AM

Jane, maybe something to make you feel better. I started working on a quilt for when my Grandson was born; he is going to be 12 this year and the quilt is still not done. Believe me when I say I hear a lot of negative comments surrounding it not being completed. This one is actually the next one that I plan on working on. I am hoping to at least get it quilted and the binding machine stitched before the end of the month. I have two back to back trips in June and will be out of town from June 8th till the 24th. My goal is to have several items in my suitcase that needs the binding hand stitched. Figured that would keep me busy when at airports, on the plane, and in hotel rooms.

Best of luck to both of us on finishing our UFO's.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Jane, when I first started with this hobby and before it turned into an obsession, I decided that I was advanced enough to do a Lone Star. (My 3rd quilt ever). It still sits in the bin waiting to be finished. After 25 years I plan to be advanced enough to deal with the wonky angles and corner bits.....maybe.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Oh martina don't tell me that story. I have a stained glass that has only been in the closet for a couple of years but it too is waiting for me to grow up or get expert or something.