Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your take on 'modern' quilts? >

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

What is your take on 'modern' quilts?

Old 12-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lobster View Post
You reckon? I'm broke and can't afford much fabric, so I spend a long time on each quilt, making something detailed. I see people making quilts really fast, and apart from the fact that it's just not my quilting style, I do sometimes wonder how they can afford all the materials.

One thing is that in the states, fabric is much less expensive than in the UK, I'm pretty sure.

The other thing is that people in the states put less of an emphasis on vacations and may put their money towards something like fabric (instead of vacations) than Europeans. Here in Europe, vacations are REALLY important to people and most actually take them and go somewhere. I can't say the same thing necessarily about the states. I know my parents haven't "gone" on vacation for years and years.

Last edited by justflyingin; 12-19-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Her website is

http://jacquietps.wordpress.com/ and is titled RETHINK QUILTING.

The first quilt on the page (today 19-12-2013) is: bang, you're dead. Be sure to scroll down (and down and down) to see the rest of her quilts. They will give you a whole new perspective on what "modern" means. I pinned some of her up-close photos for quilting inspiration.

What do I love? I'm more of a traditionalist with Log Cabins being my favorites.

As had been said, the more the merrier in the quilting community. Anything that keeps our shops open and filled with fabric is fine with me. And, who knows, as they mature, the modernists may become more traditional.

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
No, it isn't that easy!! And then there is matchstick quilting which is straight line quilting about 1/4 inch apart all across the quilt. I was lucky enough to attend a Jacquie Gering trunk show a few weeks ago and she had a couple that were quilted like that. The texture it gives to a quilt is amazing and the perserverance it requires to do it is mind boggling. And some of her takes on traditional blocks blow my mind - like this one:
http://jacquietps.files.wordpress.co.../01/cogs12.jpg

I started quilting about 5 years ago and began by making "kid quilts". I think I did it because the traditional colors and patterns just didn't appeal to me. If I hadn't discovered the modern movement in quilts I seriously doubt that I would still be quilting. It isn't that I don't appreciate and admire the skill that goes into traditional quilts but I don't want them for my home and I definitely don't want to make them.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM

Amen, sister!

I'm old enough to remember when quilts that weren't hand-pieced and hand-quilted were automatically disqualified from being accepted in a quilt show!

Originally Posted by RST View Post
I'm old enough, and have been around quilting ladies long enough, to remember similar comments/complaints lodged against the newfangled quilters in the 70s who were starting to use poly-batts and throw polyester scraps into the mix. Time sided with tradition on that one.

But I also remember the traditionalists ranting about the innovation of the rotary cutter and rulers and cutting mats. And this chain piecing, and all the little tips and tricks for speeding up the process! Where is the precision? Where is the artistry? Where is the skill? Give us cardboard templates, a sliver of soap, and the old sewing sheers, because anything else is an abomination! And there can be no such thing as machine quilting unless you are constructing matress pads in a sweatshop in a third world nation, for everyone knows that quilting can only be done with a between needle with a waxed 100 % cotton thread, with a hoop or a frame, and one must strive for 10 - 12 stitches per inch. On that set of ideas, the majority has been quick to jump ship and accept rotary cutting and machine quilting. Many of you traditionalists would have been considered *way modern* in the 1980s.

Quilting always has been about innovation and taking advantage of what's available. It's also an art that is interactive with the environment in which it's made -- be it the climate or the decor sensibilities. Modern quilters are following the rules in that respect.

Take color choice: Gray in quilts is not depressing. It's the neutral that prevails in home decor now. Gray and/ or white in quilts looks good in houses that have current color schemes, while a lot of the beige and off whites just look grimy. Done well, the neutrals, whether white, gray, beige or black, allow the eye to rest a bit and give room for the visual focal points. An overly busy quilt is like a crowded sales circular. What many of us quilters think of as bright and cheery, to non-quilters looks like way too much color and "stuff" all crammed into a smallish space.

I do hear you all on the comments about sometimes knowledge base and technical level is lacking with some of the newer quilters. However, if you really want to see them look to you for input on essential skills, you'll have to temper your presentation and not come across like cranky and critical old biddies. I've made that mistake in presentation myself. I was attending a modern quilt guild sew-in, saw a young woman pressing her quilt top prior to layering. She had not pressed any of the blocks during construction, and she was making a regular mess of it. It hurt to see her doing the things she did to what was really a lovely top, made with very expensive fabrics. I wanted to be helpful and give her some tips. What she heard coming out of my mouth was not help, just mean old lady picking on her. Is she likely to ever ask me for help? No. She will just keep on mangling her quilt tops and having big lumps at the seams, and then older quilters will make snide remarks about how her construction skills are not going to stand up to the test of time, blah blah blah.

In the discussion of traditional vs. modern styles, I think there is an unspoken but very real concern/anger from the traditionalists that their craft which has taken decades to perfect, and their quilts, which are large, carefully constructed, and technically precise, are not being valued as much as oddly shaped, improvised, quickly constructed pieces put together by a 20-something blogger who threaded her first needle 2 years ago. A lot of the modern quilts are priced very high, and apparently are selling on etsy or by the bloggers privately. I admit to being among those who shake their head in surprise that a 28 x 34 "baby quilt" which is essentially one block and a lot of sashing can sell for $150 while some very elaborate queen sized numbers sit forever unloved, despite being priced so low that it's hard to believe the cost of fabric can be recovered. The thing is, the baby quilt maker had figured out her market. She's made an item that is designed to sell, as opposed to following a bunch of rules learned over a lifetime of quilting classes and retreats and guild meetings, obsessing over every matched point, and producing something that doesn't fit anyone's current decor preferences.

For myself, I had some hard thinks on that, and came to the conclusion that I am not cut out to be a seller. I make quilts because they make me happy. I get my pay-off because while making my quilt, I can let go of day to day stress and just enjoy creativity. The bonus is that family and friends love getting my quilts as gifts, and if occasionally I produce a stinker that nobody loves, then no big deal, I keep it in the back of the closet and pull it out when someone's cold.

When I removed external affirmations (either in the form of sales or of praise and positive feedback) from my equation for why I quilt, then I no longer felt threatened of so annoyed by people whose quiltmaking aesthetics are different from mine. I'd like to think that now I'd just compliment the young lady ironing her quilt top on her color and fabric choices, chat about our favorite shops, and have a pleasant conversational exchange. No need for me to show her the right way or to set her straight.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:20 AM

The sheer act of quilting whether it's "Traditional" "Modern" or somewhere in between keeps quilting alive and well.

Just MHO
Old 12-20-2013, 03:33 AM

Nancy if you likecdtars and bright colors check out the tute i did called Scrappy Star. Its easy and sounds like its right up your alley.
Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
Hi,
There are lots and lots of modern quilters who crank them out - such as the filminthefridge.com lady. Lots of wonkiness, which I started with, but ended up not liking. I think she gets most of her fabrics for free. Others, like Faith from fresh lemons quilts, takes traditional patterns and does them in bright colors. She has been researching Nancy Cabot patterns, and making them in modern colors.

Personally, I got bored very quickly with the wonkiness, no straight lines quilting. Through Faith's website, I tried a few star blocks and had success and kind of got hooked. I love stars and any star type block. I love how they come together at the end. I started paper piecing after this, but that might just be a bridge too far for this ADD woman!
So I make traditional patterns in bright modern colors! I adore bright blocks with white sashing! I think that's my favorite!
Nancy
Old 12-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

This is a great discussion. Keep it coming!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Quilting, like art, is "in the eyes of the beholder"...
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM

I love modern quilts, especially when keeping the patchwork simple and the quilting beautiful, if quilting doesn't encourage new ideas it may die. There is plenty of room for all types!!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 AM

This is the final finished quilt from the Urban Windows pattern that McCall's provided. Not sure if its really modern, but they called it modern. Its pretty at any rate.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-front.jpg  
Old 12-23-2013, 06:41 AM

Girlfriend-your quilt is beautiful and I love most modern quilts along with many of the more traditional quilts that offer simplicity(e.g churn dash).