Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate? >

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

What's the WORST thing you've EVER ate?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I had a bad mussel once as a kid. Liked them before that, now I can't even look at them.

Okra- slimy nasty sticky. Reminds me of that green slime on ghostbusters. ewwwww.

My personal demon is tomato soup. I refused to eat it once as a child and my mother poured it down my shirt. I can't be in the same room with it now. And I love all other tomato based foods, raw or cooked.
I can't believe you live in Oklahoma and do not like Okra. Have you tried it fried,,,,,Yummmo. Come on down to my house and I will fix ya some! It is amazing how people who live in the northern US do not eat it.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:16 PM

Pea soup!
-----------------------------------------
I agree with her, PEA SOUP. My late husband used to
take us out of town to Pea Soup Anderson's, and he
would order a big bowl of it. I just sat and stared it it,
wanting to gag. I'd changed way too many dirty diapers
of sick babies to ever want to try putting something that
looked like that in my mouth!!! BLEAH!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
When I worked at the grocery store the Seafood Dept guy would make all kinds of unusual things for us to try. Most were great but one day he made alligator. It was like rubber and tasted awful. Never again.
Oh, try battered and fried alligator!! It is DELECTABLE!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Mountain oysters, and oysters in general are both on my taboo list. Don't care for seafood much either with the exception of flounder and shrimp.
----------------------------------------
Honey, Dear one, I got news for you. Mountain Oysters
don't come from the water. They don't come from mountain
streams either. They are what used to make a steer a bull.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:33 PM

LIVER !!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:45 PM

My grandmother (in her older years) had a dog...very fluffy dog. The hair flew in the air type of dog. When making hamburger paddies, the hair would end up in the meat...we called them "fur burgers"...YUCK!!!!! That was hard to take...pulling the hair out of your teeth.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

This is so funny to read. I have to admit that when I was small we lived on a farm and raised our own beef. It was always hand fed grain and so was very good. My mom cooked almost everything, and she was a great cook. I was raised on brains, sweatbread, heart, liver, tongue, oxtail soup and even Rocky Mountain oysters. These were all very good. Noone told us they were supposed to be bad, so we like them. My uncle was even a professional butcher, so we knew how how our steers were raised and butchered. I wouldn't eat these items from a grocery store now. It makes a difference how they are raised. My dad died when I was a teenager and my mom remarried when I was a senior. The thought of eating a lamb really grossed me out, but I discovered there is also a difference in the lamb that you buy. My mom's new husband raised sheep and she learned to cook lamb. It was much different than what you buy in the grocery store. Much of that may be labeled lamb, but is most likely not the young lambs.

I had to laugh when when we were little because my Grandmother convinced my Mom to cook the kidneys. Mom put them on the stove and started boiling them. It didn't last long, as soon as they began to smell, she picked up pan and all and threw them out the back door. She never tried to cook the kidneys again.

Thanks for the memories. My parents are gone now, and it is good to bring up the memories of when we were really little.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:58 AM

I am loving reading this. Some of the things I love other people just hate. Good thing there are so many things in the world. I still love fresh tomato sandwiches even though one summer my daughter and I about lived on them. After my ex left there wasn't a lot of food in the house and someone left a big bag of tomatoes on our front step. And all summer we would find a bag just about the time the previous one was running out. Don't know who it was but it kept us from going hungry.
I do have a question. Do some of you finding your tastes change as you grow older? Things I liked when I was younger I can't stand to eat or even smell now. brussel sprouts come to mind along with califlower.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 AM

I hate liver and mountain oysters. And yes my tastes buds have changed over the years. I still have favorites but try more and eat less of some things. Oh,oh, I forgot, turnips. I can't eat them to this day. When we livewd in Japan, my sister would not eat the turnips so mom made her sit there and finally she did, then up they came. That memory has kept me from eating turnips for the last 47 yrs. LOL. NOT ME!!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:36 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Pork Hekka. Was my last meal in Hawaii on my honeymoon, and so I was hoping for something nice.

It included cellophane noodles, which I'd never had before. They turned out to be a gelatinous glob of transparent goo. It looked so awful I burst into tears right in the middle of the restaurant!