Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My WallyWorld "mishap" >

My WallyWorld "mishap"

My WallyWorld "mishap"

Old 07-12-2010, 01:08 PM

I have the same problem in one of the Wal Marts and the other one they go out of their way to help you.
I would have taken the note to a manager as the materila girl will only unpin and throw it away so no one sees it. I would bet.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Our WalMart still has fabric, but they just put the fabric/craft dept manager in charge of stationary as well as her regular departments. She is getting real tired of the way they are treating the employees and may quit if she can find another job. She is a 25+ year employee and her fabric dept always was around #200 in the whole chain, so they did really well. Always had lots of knowledgeable help and now there are only the manager and 2 part time people. You know where sales will go then. Sad that they cannot see they are hurting their business.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM

I did that once in the Sherman, Texas, WalMart and it galvanized all the staff. Several were there in a flash. The managers weren't happy, but several of the clerks were hiding smiles.

Now that the fabric is gone, I don't go there much any more.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:57 PM

The time I remember there is the time there was no fabric cutter, but since it was next to where they sell the cds that kid came over. I taught him how to cut the fabric, and we were both happy. I hear from a lot of people in other parts of the country how bad their Walmart is, but it's different here. These people are just happy to have a job anywhere and really are most helpful. I didn't know they even made a shoe horn on an extended pole so the user doesn't have to bend over to use a show horn. Thanks to a Walmart employee, I do now. And one time we were going to dinner with our sailor son who was visiting us and had on his dress whites, and it was like a commercial, the cashiers and even the customers stopped and appluaded as we made our way out the door.
To me, the employees are just local people, trying to do their job, with an employer that I hear is not the best.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 PM

I recently bought 7 yards of fabric, all that was on the bolt, at the Rohnert Park store. I didn't watch the girl measure it and put it back on the bolt. When I got it home I found the last 44" was a separate sewn together. I was making curtains so I needed a whole piece. I took it back to a Winsor store and was told I had to take it back to the RP store. So I made the trip back to RP where I was told the Winsor store should have taken it back that they take Winsor fabric back all the time. It took a lot of my time and gas to get this straighten out.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
What are WOW fabrics?

My experiences in most WalMart stores have been good. Sometimes I have to get someone from another department to cut fabric, but they are usually pleasant.

They even stay pleasant when I go into my monolog/rant about my opinions about corporate removing the bolt fabrics from the stores.

I do think WM understaffs at times - and one person has to cover several departments - but it seems like JoAnn and Hancock stores also understaff.
white on white fabrics :) usually a pretty motif or pattern in white that's on the surface of white fabric.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:32 PM

I tell you this one thing. I use to work retail. The note you wrote ended up the trash after they had a good laugh. The employees in these store do not care about the customer.
They only want a pay check. This is in all retail stores.
It is sad to say but it is true.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 PM

Unfortunately, it's not just the fabric department (or shall I say fabric vignette) at my Wally World now. I had 2 terrible customer (non)service episodes in one week and decided I'd boycott the one nearest me. But gosh, it's only 5 minutes away and there are some things you just have to get from there! Plus, they're in the middle of a re-model, so can't find a darn thing; and neither can the employees.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:00 PM

Although the note may have made you feel better, it would be better for you to send a note to the management being certain to include to date you were there.

I love it when someone does that! People have no idea how much power a letter to management carries.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Have to laugh. I was in a WalMart in Sulphur Springs, TX a couple of years ago. There wasn't anyone in the fabric section, so I rang the bell. Then someone else came along an they rang the bell. Then I rang the bell again. After about five minutes or more, I (having grown up where you sometimes had to communicate over long distances) turned my face up toward the ceiling and yelled (you could hear me in the parking lot) "Is anybody working the fabric section?" A clerk popped around the counter and said "You could have just rung the bell." My answer "I've run the bell four or five times over the last ten minutes."

Another time I was in a Walmart in another town nearby and again there was nobody in the fabric section. I rang the bell a couple of times and, when nobody came, I took out my cellphone, called the main store number and asked to speak to the manager. When she came on-line, I told her I'd been waiting in the fabric section for a long time and nobody was answering the bell. She had somebody there to wait on me rather quickly.

A word of advice to everyone. DON'T take surly clerks and assistants lying down. Call management. Or, better yet, remind the clerk that there are at least fifteen or more people with good customer service skills who want that job.