Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My WallyWorld "mishap" >

My WallyWorld "mishap"

My WallyWorld "mishap"

Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 AM

My experience was like yours only even worse because I didn't have the sense enough to leave. I too waited at the counter, bell no longer there by the way, for over 20 minutes on July 4th. I went to the next department which was photo and the man there called for someone to come and cut my material, wait again and nobody showed.

Needless to say I feel as you did, my time is as valuable as theirs so I went home, fired off an email to WalMart.com complaining about this service. The following day I received a call from the manager of the store saying how sorry she was and "we never treat our customers that way" but obviously they do if you had the same experience. She told me she would send me a $20 gift card for my troubles. I told her I didn't plan on shopping WalMart anytime soon but I would donate the card to someone. Sure enough, day after her phone call the card arrived.

I had talked to the girls at Joanns about this and they said they get lots of complaints such as mine at this paticular store because the store manager isn't doing her job.

If WalMart doesn't want to carry fabric then close out the department rather then make the service so bad people won't come back. This is not the first time this has happened at this store. I've been yelled at to HOLD ON when I have rung the bell in the past and just one ring.
:|
Old 07-12-2010, 10:12 AM

Our WalMart is the worst in the world. It is understaffed in every department. I'm in a wheelchair and have used their electric scooters and have run out of juice on several occations. The last time, I was dead center in the store, and you can best believe the entire store knew I was there. My husband heard me from several department over and came to the rescue. He hates WalMart. But unfortunately there are things there that I just can't get any where else. And have only gotten fabric there once because no one was around. Glad I'm not alone.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Back when my local Wally's had fabric, it would not be unusual to wait more than 15 minutes for someone to hear the bell, or ever show up. If no one came over I would venture around the corner to the photo department and ask them to page someone, to no avail. Finally, someone from the photo department would come over and "cut" the fabric. I say "cut" in quotes, because they really didn't have a clue about cutting fabric, didn't line the fabric up, didn't take any care or consideration for how straight the fabric was, or if they used the proper scissors for the type of fabric. Many times I left unattended and unserved. So I can certainly understand your situation.

On a similar note, I have to vent about customer service in other areas of my shopping experiences...went to the local dairy queen this weekend..got two cones, gave the cashier 6.00 dollars for a 5.02 bill, she fought for a few minutes, behind the glass window, mulling over how to give me change, asked another employee for help before coming back to the window to ask if I had two pennies rather than the dollar bill. Guess she didn't know how to count to 98 cents.

Perhaps this is the way customer service is going....

(Ok I will now get off the subject)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM

I have been in WM that are very busy in fabric and have 2 clerks and then I have been in ones that have no regular clerk. One time I cut the fabric myself and took the bolt and how many yards I had to the check out. I got help immediately and lots of sorrys. I believe it is up to each manager how the store is run.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:23 AM

That's a riot, I think next time something like this happens to me I will just take everything off the shelves until the shelves are empty.

I must say that the very small quilt store we have here in this small town, the ladies are wonderful. After I was in the first time, they remembered my name and call me by name every trip in. I ofcourse then learned their names so I could be curtious as well.

There are good and bad everywhere. I just the the good better.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 AM

I've had great luck at my WM. Always someone there, but I do shop during the day. Just last week the girl cutting my fabric told me how no one was in the department the previous night and how a few yards were cut off a spool of ribbon that was supposed to sell the entire spool for the price. Whoever cut for the customer, and the customer, didn't understand that the price was not by the yard but for the entire spool. Someone grossly over paid for ribbon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I have always had good service there and my WM does carry the Quilt of the Month fabrics.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Here's what it says on the website:

"Walmart is committed to providing you superior customer service and a pleasant shopping experience. We're happy to respond to your questions about Walmart and appreciate your comments or suggestions. Please use the form below to let us know how we can assist you."

I've sent them an e-mail. We'll just see what kind of "superior customer service" I get at this point in time.

Odessa
Old 07-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Couple years ago at the WM we go to my hubby needed help getting a BBQer. He rang the bell, finally a gal shows up and cops an attitude straight off. Upset Jeff. He goes straight to the manager asks him what kind of people gets away with being disrespective to customers? It's not like everyone in the area are loaded in $$$$. The manager came and persoanlly helped Jeff and as we were leaving the boss was talking to Miss Attitude. Next time we were in the store she was acting friendly to everyone. It's not like jobs are easy to come by now days.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 AM
np3
Power Poster

We still have two local stores that have fabric and they are staffed well...at least when I have been there. But the department keeps getting smaller and smaller so I know it will be going soon.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM

I had this happen to me one day in our local Walmart at the time. I finally cut what I wanted and took it to the register. She told me I could not do that so she called someone from fabrics to measure the fabric and price it. At least I got their attention.