Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
it's sad for those who rely on WalMart's fab departments. lets respect that.
I think perhaps my point was lost here...

MORE THAN the fabric department going adios, it bugs me that they seem to be blowing smoke up people's you-know-what about how great the "CELEBRATION" department is. As in "much better than fabric!" It's a redundant section that replaces the fabric section.
i have to agree. that confuses me quite a bit, too. how many parties do they think we're going to throw? :?
I agree. And you can buy celebration (party) stuff any place and there usually much of a price difference.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks
Old 07-31-2010, 08:57 AM

Our new Sew and Vac listened to customers and put in a limited supply of fabrics, a year or so before they intended to when the WM closed out their fabrics 10 miles away...intellengent move. Now we shop the local grocery, the Sew and Vac (and notion + materisl) on main street. And maybe our local economy in Brush, Colorado will begin to see the light that WM put out several years ago...GO QUILTERS !!!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MillieH
This is why I dislike Walmart. They open a store in a small town, run all the competition out of business, and then sometimes decide that store isn't profitable and close it. In the town where my mom lived, after they closed the WM there, Mom couldn't even buy a sewing needle or spool of thread without driving 30 miles or more.

Now that they have run LQS's out of business in some towns/area, they are discontinuing the handling of bolt fabrics.
Right on - MillieH. I have seen this same thing happen in my childhood small rural town, the medium-sized town I attended junior college in and now, within the metro stores nearby. WM has gotten too big and has forgotten what Sam Walton stood for. Those people who need a low cost fabric because they cannot afford the local fine quilting fabric shops are being discounted. Shame on WalMart.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave!! So are the founders of JoAnn, to see what "retailers" have done to their stores.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Am I understanding that Wal-Mart owns Jo-Ann's???
Old 07-31-2010, 11:54 AM

[it bugs me that they seem to be blowing smoke up people's you-know-what about how great the "CELEBRATION" department is.]

Hear hear. What do they think, Now that they are carrying "Celebrations" we will all stop making quilts and go over into, what? parties and showers and scrapbooks and whatnot, just because oh boy that's what WM is now carrying???

They have no clue as to who the buying public is.
I think they think we are all teenyboppers and deerhunters and new moms.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Walmarts PR tell you they have the lowest prices and that isn't always true. I bought a Hoover Vac from Target because it was cheaper and also some office supplies were higher at Walmart. I went to Walmart today, only because it was on my way home, to pick up a few items for our trip. I can truly say, I couldn't wait to get out. I noticed they have a lot of unfilled space and they have less of a selection on some things. Ours is a busy store in the summer because of the beaches. Don't plan to go back any time soon.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Besides there are so many places that you can get the plates, cups , etc for much cheaper :wink:
Got that right... LOL
I can name a few:
Dollar General
Family Dollar
Dollar Tree

Okay.. birthdays come once a year, hopefully a wedding once or twice in your lifetime. BUT come on, family get togethers..paper plate. Only at BBQ's for us!

Wal-Mart's reasonings, they have no good standing reasons. Sorry got my dander up on this one!!! I sent them so many emails where I live that they actually 'blocked' my emails. LOL

Did hear of a new Super Wal-mart being built near me...yeah... hope they get the fabrics in ... referring to an older post about WM having fabrics.
That is why 1 of 2 KMart stores closed....because they took out the fabric & most of the yarn, crafts.

They even do a "price" match from other places, KMart, Meijers, all surrounding grocery stores. Sounds like they are in a bit of trouble too!

So SORRY... I just had to vent!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM

I rarely go to Walmart anymore, and only if I just have to. Unfortunetly, I have to get my medication there as they are the cheapest game around. When they started removing the fabric dept's a couple years ago, I sent a very descriptive email to them and said I was no longer going to give them my business. And for the most part I have done just that.

Maybe what we should do is bombard them with email about how we will NO LONGER give them our hard earned money and mention they need a new firm to do their survey's as those people are not surveying the people who actually BUY fabric. I've alway thought you could get more flies with honey than vinegar, but there are times that being nice just doesn't work with these corporate Einstiens... We need to protest them with our $$ spent elsewhere.

One person boycotting won't accomplish anything but if many of us did, they might get the hint when their profits start dropping. JMO