Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy) >

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Housework Tips & Tricks (Post yours for us to enjoy)

Old 09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Google Goddess

very good tip

Originally Posted by carolaug
I do the same thing!!! I also start cleaning as soon as I wake up in the morning and grab the clothes basket on the way. I fill the water for the coffee makers and as its making coffee I am filling the dishwasher, than loading the laundry. It takes a few seconds and its done. I clean 15 mins here and there during the day that way it does not feel like a chore and the house stays clean. No mad rush.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 PM

I also make my bed as soon as I get up, takes two seconds and grab the laundry basket on the way down the stairs. It is really easy to keep a house clean if things are done in small doses.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Never look down, that is where most of the dirt is.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:15 PM

I have three laundry baskets in my bedroom, one each for whites, reds and 'other colors'. In my house other colors are mostly blues, green and gray. When you take off your clothes, you put them in the right basket. When the basket is full I wash it. For my son, I have a couple of mesh bags, he wears white and black socks only. He puts his socks in the right color bag, when he needs them washed they go to the right basket. For my husband he has hair bands to hook his socks together before he tosses them in the basket. Most of my socks are handknits, so I toss them in the baskets loose, machine wash, but pull before drying. Privelege of rank that I don't have to mate my socks.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Well, I'm going to take this seriously!

In our home, the last one who takes a shower has to either dry it (use towel that will go in the wash that day) or a squeegee. Prevents build up of soap and mildew in the shower. Of course, eventually the shower needs a 'real' cleaning - so I ask my husband to do it - and ALWAYS tell him how great a job he did! My Momma didn't raise no fool!

When I towel out the shower, I also use the wet towel to do a quick "shuffle mop" of the floor. Always use a not-white/light neutral towel for this...
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM

[quote=drivingsusan]
Originally Posted by
Great & easy way to clean your microwave...Boil a cup of water and leave it in the microwave about 3-5 min….then remove and wipe down the insides……..Walla it’s nice and clean :wink: :thumbup:[/quote

What a great tip!! And no harmful agents left in microwave!!!
Or put a wet cloth in and microwave it for 30 seconds. When it cools, wipe out the microwave. You MUST wait for the cloth to cool - or suffer the consequences!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Farmer's Daughter
I keep newspapers picked up, vac once a week, dishes go in dishwasher when dirty. Vertical surfaces seem to catch a lot of clutter which I TRY to keep down. Today I cleaned top of dresser. Got rid of a lot of junk. There is actually room on the top now.
My daughter says 'dust is a protective coating for your
furniture.'
Had to dust instrument panel of car yesterday as sun was shining & I couldn't see dials clearly.
The dust on your table won't irritate your allergies (if you have them) UNTIL you stir it up by dusting!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 PM

The first thing I do when I start to cook is fill the sink with hot soap water. I wipe and wash as I cook. Then I don’t have a big mess to clean after the meal. I taught my daughters all to do the same thing and they have bragged to others that that was one of the best things I taught them
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Oh you're right Carol...Mama taught me to clean up the kitchen as I go. I don't sit down to eat until all the pots/pans are clean and the stove top is wiped. When we are finished eating all we have to do is wash whats on the table..then the kitchen is clean!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mamapeggy11
Fill the kitchen sink with hot water and pine-sol --house smell clean !!! LOL
LOL..........that's a good one. I put cinncmon, cloves and nutmeg in water and let it simmer on the stove. It not only makes the house smell clean it makes it smell like you have been busy baking. The bonus get a store bought spice cake put it on a pretty platter and let the family think you HAVE been baking all day.