weird fears or aversions

Old 12-03-2010, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by mollymct
Fun thread!! I'm really wondering what sound marshmallows make when they rub together...gonna have to try that!

As I went to sleep last night, I remembered another aversion...to sleeping with my head "exposed." I always sleep with my head under the covers. I actually have two issues here--I don't like to feel air on my neck (I know!! I'm fine outside on a windy day!) and I also have an irrational idea (a childhood fear) of something crawling in my ear! Like a spider or other bug? I don't know where it started. Though I don't really think of it anymore, the habit has formed and I'm most comfortable burrowed in for the night!
me too! unless it is warm. You sleep better when your head is warm, so it makes sense. SOmetimes I make a little tunnel to breathe through.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:59 AM

I can't stand:

the sound of a phone ringing
anything repeatedly beeping or buzzing to get my attention (microwave, toaster oven, etc.)
water dripping down to my elbows when I'm hand-washing dishes (argggh!)
the sound of DH sharpening one of his knives (drives me NUTS)
the smell of lettuce (I *will* gag)
the word "vomit" (could there be a nastier word?? ROFL!)
people who call wrought iron "rod iron" (grrr!)
someone not flushing the toilet, especially if it's "#2" (proud of it, or something?? :hunf: )

Originally Posted by theoldgraymare
The sight of someone "dipping." That must be the most disgusting habit one earth. How can anyone kiss a partner who has been dipping? And then spitting it in an empty bottle or can that is kept handy for just that purpose...so gross! Just seeing someone with a big wad stuck in his cheek is enough to make me want to gag!
DH does that, and yep, it drives me batty. He does at least try to be inconspicuous about it, and you can't really see it in his mouth, but every once in awhile he'll leave a spit cup or can laying around. GAG!!! I don't even TOUCH it. It stays right there until he gets home from work. And nope, he doesn't get any kisses until after he's thoroughly brushed his teeth! :P
Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 AM

There's a town near San Antonio that's called New Braunfels. Many of the locals call it New BraunSfel. Why. It's easier to say it the right way than the wrong way.

And watching someone chop veggies with a big knife on tv or in a movie. I always feel like I have just cut my fingertips off. I actually look down at my fingers to make sure I didn't. But I have a hard time stopping the image of me cutting my fingertips off. Maybe I did this in a previous life? (Note: I am able to chop veggies myself without any images - only when I see someone else chopping. Weird.)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Here's another one: an acquaintance who is terrible at spelling and grammar, and frequently refers to a mood point instead of a moot point. I always chuckled that a "mood point" kind of changed the whole tone of the discussion! :)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM

how about people who use "Mano a mano" as if it means "man to man", instead of "hand to hand", which is what it really means.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
And watching someone chop veggies with a big knife on tv or in a movie. I always feel like I have just cut my fingertips off. I actually look down at my fingers to make sure I didn't. But I have a hard time stopping the image of me cutting my fingertips off. Maybe I did this in a previous life? (Note: I am able to chop veggies myself without any images - only when I see someone else chopping. Weird.)
Funny! I have a problem that whenever anybody on tv or in front of me shrug their shoulders I immediately shrug mine. Sometimes my reaction is so quick I think that maybe I actually did it before they did! I have no control over this...it feels like a spasm. Very strange.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:32 PM

What about those plastic inner bags that are in cereal boxes that must be cut with scissors and cannot be torn open

Child proof medicine bottles that only adults CANNOT open

ziplock bags that cannot zip OR lock
Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM

I have 2 weird things I avoid like the plague: Twizzlers (red licorice) and fish. The smell alone of Twizzlers makes me gag. Fish I don't eat and don't like to see, even in pet stores - pretty sure this comes from when I went snorkeling on vacation when I was 12. The tour guide thought it was funny that I didn't want to touch the fish like everyone else so he dumped some fish crackers on me and they all swarmed. Ugh it makes me shudder just thinking about it :)

I have 2 weird things I avoid like the plague: Twizzlers (red licorice) and fish. The smell alone of Twizzlers makes me gag. Fish I don't eat and don't like to see, even in pet stores - pretty sure this comes from when I went snorkeling on vacation when I was 12. The tour guide thought it was funny that I didn't want to touch the fish like everyone else so he dumped some fish crackers on me and they all swarmed. Ugh it makes me shudder just thinking about it :)