Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 PM

I like to make I Spy quilts for children who are sick. I also like making quilts for veterans and military. But it's the kids who really get to me the most!
Old 01-27-2011, 03:57 PM

Yes, I do Ruth. have made and donated over 200 quilts to Vets hospital. Makes me feel good when someone comes to me (my furnace man for one) and says I may have had one of your quilts when I had my knee operation. Maybe he did or maybe he didn't, but made me feel blessed that he got one.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:24 PM

I made quilts for the 5th grade at my local elementary school for christmas. the children were happy and so was I. I made them for covering up to watch TV not bed size.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

We make quilts for the battered woman, intensivecare unit at the childrens hospital, the homeless missons are always looking for blankets.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 AM
QM
Power Poster

Sierra, If you look at my Scrappy Ginko Star quilt, I posted the back too. I have used various types of fleece on several quilts. When the fleece is relatively thick, I don't use a batting.

I have used other types of fuzzy fabrics and been very unhappy with the results, as they are awkward to quilt unless you use interfacing. Wiht the fleeces I have gotten this winter, quilting has been quite easy for me.

Also, it is very important to make bright, cheerful quilts that are solidly made and if bound, have the binding very well attached. The patterns are really YOUR choice. Some of my charity quilts are extremely simple, others very complex, depending mainly on my mood.

Since I feel that the purpose of my all quilts is always to spread a message of love, especially for those most in need of feeling love, I try to make the quilts as pleasant to look at as I can for whatever pattern I select.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:03 AM

I make mine for a local organisation, "The Linus Connection", all the quilts and yarn blankets stay in central
Texas. They go to in-need children.
One of my favorite patterns for a child's charity quilt is a very simple one. "Wickedly Easy" from www.byannie.com, its under free patterns. Its made from 6 fat quarters.
I also do brick wall,disappearing 9 patch,simple stars,snowball & 9 patch. I love to work in bright colors and juvenille prints.

"Wickedly Easy" baby quilt, I finished the quilt the day before I broke my right ankle.(7/18/10)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104273[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104268.jpe  
Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I make mine for a local organisation, "The Linus Connection", all the quilts and yarn blankets stay in central
Texas. They go to in-need children.
One of my favorite patterns for a child's charity quilt is a very simple one. "Wickedly Easy" from www.byannie.com, its under free patterns. Its made from 6 fat quarters.
I also do brick wall,disappearing 9 patch,simple stars,snowball & 9 patch. I love to work in bright colors and juvenille prints.
I love that quilt! I made "Wickedly Easy" once a few years ago and forgot about that wonderful pattern. Thanks for reminding me what a fun pattern; I'm going to use it next for Project Linus! :thumbup:
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Roman coins is probably the one I have made the most. But I also look online for free patterns that I can alter to fit the size we make.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 AM

www.quiltville.com has some great patterns using 2 1/2 strips. I've made an enormous amount of her quilts.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:47 AM

I made a humongous irish chain in red, white and blue for a raffle to raise funds for our local library. When I first suggested the idea to the director, I got a very luke warm response. However, when the raffle tickets for the quilt raised over $800. I heard that they wanted me to make another! LOL

Raffle Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112914[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112909.jpe