Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM

I also use a flannel backed table cloth, sometime two together I purchased from Wal Mart. I use them on the floor, as I don't have a good wall space. I lay out by blocks or fab. pieces and usually take a digital pic. of it then, move them around and retake pics. I can always delete the pics. and not have to print them out. When I don't want to lose the design and have to quit working on it, I just roll the table cloth(s) up with the blocks left on them and then they are rady for the next time I get to work on it. This works great for me, especially if I want to take it to my quilting club meetings and get others opinions for lay outs if I'm at a loss or something.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM

I use a plastic tablecloth with flannel backing on it also. I hang it over my closet doors(double doors) the fabric sticks to the flannel and is the least costly way to go.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 PM

My design wall consists of a heavy weight plastic table cloth with a felt lining. My husband mounted it on a railing from Ikea and it just clips on. I have it across the wall in front of the closet. When I need to get into the closet, I just pull it back on the tracks. Works great.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
pac

Hey My design board is made of 1/2" insulation board coverd wih flannel The boards go from top to bottom this gives you plenty of space to work on & use If you have enough wall space you can up to 3 or 4 boards covered with flannel Mine is GREAT
Old 02-11-2011, 09:02 PM

At Lowe's I bought two sheets of insulation boards, stapled some flannel over them (separate), then tacked them to the wall. If I ever remove it, I don't think the small nail holes will be noticeable. It's flush with the wall. I think you need a design wall to put your blocks on, walk away and see it from a distance and from different angles, plus you can move your squares around for the best placements.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 PM

i put mine on a basement wall, where i work anyway. i took up almost a whole wall that was covered with insulation (finished basement) and stapled white flannel to it, floor to ceiling - 8', side to side - 12'. it almost makes up for working in a basement and being away from the rest of the house and running up and down when i cook.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM

My mom made hers from 3 inch thick styrofom sheet 4 feet by 8 feet wraped in t-shirting material. you can stack them on the floor or use seprate on a table next to the wall, she has two of them, side by side or on top of each other her sewing room is to die for, its huge. she has two sewing rooms.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 PM

So far mine is queen size and sleeps two. :oops:
Old 02-11-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm using a flannel backed tablecloth on the wall. Also, have used a twin cover sheet w/heavy back flannel. Both works great!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Cathie R
My queen size bed which is in the opposite end of the house from my sewing room. This way I also get my exercise walking back and forth. My dog also gets her exercise because she makes every trip I do.
I also use my queen size bed. I throw a sheet over it. This way can roll it up when it's time to use the bed for sleeping.