Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM

I am happily moving to a new house :-D and will have a whole room for my quilting! I have never had a design wall, and am trying to decide if I need one. What is yours covered with? Is it vertical? Or tipped slightly? How do things stay up there?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM

Oh I want to follow this thread. I too am working on getting my own sewing room and have never had a design wall. It will be great to get ideas. :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM

I used insulation board like someone here on the board recommended. covered it in batting and it works great! :D
Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 PM

Nothing special here. Cheap and easy.

I have a large piece of cheap ivory flanel hanging up. By large ... it's 6' tall by WOF. There were already a bunch of nails in the wall where the previous owner hung a series of pictures. So I took those binder clips and put the hook over the clipped the fabric inside the binder clip.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:10 PM

I have two very simple ones. the bigger one is simply flannel that I stapled to the wall (stitched two lengths together to get it wide enough and made it about knee high to top of my reach)...inexpensive and does the trick. The other is portable - I purchased a piece of flannel backed vinyl from WalMart, stapled the hook side of two squares of vlecro to the front edges of my book/fabric shelf and stitched the matching squares of the loop side of the velcro to one edge of the vinyl. (just be sure to stitch it on the vinyl side - almost made that mistake!) This one I can hang and leave as long as I want, but if I need to get to the shelves, or want to work somewhere else, I just roll it up from the bottom and unroll it where I want to work.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Mine is my floor, lately it is the only wall big enough for my layouts. I lay out a piece of plain fabric, place my quilt pieces, pin them down. Then if I need to go longer and wider than my floor place, I can roll it up. I can transport it this way, too, if I have to.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:13 PM

I use a large CHEAP flannal backed table cloth about $5 from Walmart. Use the flannel backing and your squares cling like magic. It is cheap, can be easily taken down when not in use and rolled up with squares still on it to take to or from class.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:16 PM

My design wall is flannel as well. It has grommets in the top. I didn't have enough wall space in my sewing room to hang it so I hung it in the hallway. I used those 3M hooks that come off easily and don't mark the walls to hang it.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM

I have two design walls - both 4x8 foam board from Home Depot. DH used a wood frame to stablize them. Covered them in batting. If ceiling fan is on I do use pins, or the vacuum also will make them fall off. They will stick on the battting otherwise.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:32 PM

I have taken a $10 cork board from Hobby Lobby and cut it into 5-3"X20" strips
Run a line across the wall around 8" from the top, putting the strips of cork on the line and straight pins through the cork into the sheet rock (without ruining the paint or rock)
You can hang a quilt or a flannel sheet on it for a design wall, It will hold quilted quilts to hide what you are working on.
Sue