Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please describe your design wall >

Please describe your design wall

Please describe your design wall

Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
I use a large CHEAP flannal backed table cloth about $5 from Walmart. Use the flannel backing and your squares cling like magic. It is cheap, can be easily taken down when not in use and rolled up with squares still on it to take to or from class.
I have the same kind of cheap tablecloth (not sure where it came from) and I can hang it when I need it and take it down when I don't. Since my dining room is my sewing room at the moment, it's a great option for me.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:08 PM

I made long light beige flannel panels for my six foot wide door. When I need to use my "design wall" I close the curtains and go to work. When I want sunshine, I open my curtains!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM

i also use the insulation with batting,so lite i use t pins to hang it, that way you have no holes then i hung a curtain rod over that, this hide the work wall and you can enjoy one of your quiltsmove it away theres your work wall
jean
Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM

I posted this some time ago, but here it is again.

We put up a long traverse curtain rod on the wall over my door to the sewing room. I got a queen size flannel sheet and put the curtain hooks through the top section of the sheet where it is 3x thick. Then we hung it on the traverse rod. Now I can pull it open or closed, and there is plenty of room for more than one project on it. I do use pins to hold the pieces on so they don't fly off when I open/close the "curtain" design wall. I love it!!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:39 PM

A couple of years ago, hubby & I stopped at a yard sale and purchased a roll of very thin purple carpet (used for carpeting in interiors of vehicles) for $5.00. Hubby cut off a huge piece and we hung it on the wall in my sewing room. I usually pin my blocks to it.

Works great for me.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 02-11-2011, 02:07 PM

Used the same thing but make a bigggggggg pillowcase out of flannel to cover it, can us both sides. Works great and is light to move around.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:16 PM

I bought 2 yards of 72" acrylic felt in ivory and tacked it to the wall. Most squares stay put, heavier pieces can be pinned.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Here is a photo of my design wall that my boyfriend made for me. He used corkboard for the backing and I use pins to pin my blocks on it.

Design Wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]115104[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-115099.jpe  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

I have a design wall made with foam boards put together and have but a layer of batting and will be putting a layer of flannel over top of that though havn't gotten that part done yet. Use it all the time, in fact it is full now....
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by seivmom
I bought a roll up patio door blind (very cheap one, less than $10) and used a hot glue gun to glue white flannel on it. Hung hooks at the top of the wall close to the ceiling. I can roll it up is I need to, but don't do that very often. This works well for over closet doors, you can unroll it only when you need to.
Where did you buy the blind. I have been having an awful time finding One. This is what I think might work the best for me.